Why do you collect retro bikes?

I also have a sense that I'm acting as, to some degree, a custodian of a piece of engineering excellence, made by craftsmen who cared about the quality of the things that they made.
Money quote for me and something that strangely enough never considered 🤓

Spot on…never understood the appeal of monocoloured black bikes that have become somehow the trend (more like they are pushed down to us as trendy but that’s another discussion…)

Struggling to see what bike company nowadays is into fancy colour combos like the one coming out in the 90s.

Spot on…never understood the appeal of monocoloured black bikes that have become somehow the trend (more like they are pushed down to us as trendy but that’s another discussion…)

Struggling to see what bike company nowadays is into fancy colour combos like the one coming out in the 90s.
I have the theory it started with carbon fibre frames becoming a thing. They were black and stealthy, that was cool so everything else had to look the same to look kinda expensive. But that's just a thought.

I have the theory it started with carbon fibre frames becoming a thing. They were black and stealthy, that was cool so everything else had to look the same to look kinda expensive. But that's just a thought.
It’s also very slimming.

I collect hardtails mainly. 93-99. I’m partial to a GT as I’ve owned them since 95. I’m not 100% sure why , but I think I like Zaskars the most.

It’s also cheaper than collecting cars / motorbikes or watches.
I have owned a number of GT's over the course of time.
1992 GT Timberline (both green and Daktari white.
1992 GT Pantera AL (red)
1993 GT Zaskar custom build
1993 GT Performer BMX
1994 GT racing BMX (possibly a Mach One, Interceptor or other racing model (no model name decals on frame)
2001 Gt iDrive 6.0
2001 GT iDrive 4.0
Currently own:
1998 GT Tempest
1999 GT Tequesta
2011 GT Zaskar Sport
I like GT bikes the most although I have owned many other brands too😁

Back