When does NOS stop being NOS?

BlackCat

BoTM Winner
Fat Chance Fan
Specifically.. if I fit a precious NOS groupset to maybe the only remaining NOS version of a certain early ‘90s frameset.. what is the exact inflection point when it all stops being NOS?

It’s mainly XT, LX & DX stuff, so nothing fancy - but it’s getting tough to track down NOS M730/650 etc. I’ve managed to convince myself that the groupset can be fitted - but, crucially, not set up (and therefore no chain scores on rings / cages etc) - and still call it NOS.

Maybe I’m over-thinking.

Maybe when its got fitting marks on it you may find it difficult to convince anyone its brand new, as that is what nos is. Brand new, unfitted.

New old stock is just that!

Is it still unused or have you used it to build a bike for example?

Lots of debates on here and elsewhere over different peoples interpretations of the meaning of new unused stock. Take a bolt, if you thread it into something is it still unused? even if you then just look at it forever more.

New stock! new means unused surely, when individual parts are concerned, the old part refers to just that, its old, but still unused.

New & unused imo.

So a bike with all of the factory parts fitted can be NOS if unused/no parts changed etc.

Individual parts can only be NOS if unfitted as the act of fitting is using them I reckon. You may get away with saying some parts are NOS even if they've been fitted as they might not accumulate any marks in the process.

Storage marks are OK, and perhaps even expected with older parts/bikes.

NOS attracts a premium - and you should get what you pay for.

dyna-ti":2k28sbe1 said:
Maybe when its got fitting marks on it you may find it difficult to convince anyone its brand new, as that is what nos is. Brand new, unfitted.

Interestingly, I have come to learn that NOS just means 'Never Sold at Retail' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock). Theoretically, a demo bike that has been ridden by a multitude of prospective buyers may also be considered NOS as long as it never sold at retail, regardless of the obvious wear and tear on the components.

Re:

I suppose you need to look at the work 'stock' crucially.

On a shelf, in a box or, original packaging. Stored, warehoused.

Once fitted, there will be traces of tool Marks, crank tapers stretched...

Then, that's new and unused.

Below, new old stock.

If fitted to a bike, never even clicked or handled, but advertised for sale as "mounted but never used" then new and unused, not a dusty box type of find.

Attachments

• 20201017_090423.jpg
    20201017_090423.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,547
timkrik":1ca02ytb said:
dyna-ti":1ca02ytb said:

Interestingly, I have come to learn that NOS just means 'Never Sold at Retail' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_old_stock). Theoretically, a demo bike that has been ridden by a multitude of prospective buyers may also be considered NOS as long as it never sold at retail, regardless of the obvious wear and tear on the components.

Thats just rubbish. Nothing that is used and abused can be considered nos. Does that mean if I were to steal a bike from a warehouse, use it for years that it is nos when I sell it because it was never sold at retail?

Nos is or at least should be new, never used or fitted when it comes to parts. For a bike, same logic, new never ridden.

Back to the Wikipedia bs. If I buy a bike new, mothball it without riding and 20 years later want to sell it. It is still nos as its never been ridden, used, changed from the point of purchase.

ishaw":2qv6e3ko said:
timkrik":2qv6e3ko said:
dyna-ti":2qv6e3ko said:

Thats just rubbish. Nothing that is used and abused can be considered nos. Does that mean if I were to steal a bike from a warehouse, use it for years that it is nos when I sell it because it was never sold at retail?

Nos is or at least should be new, never used or fitted when it comes to parts. For a bike, same logic, new never ridden.

Back to the Wikipedia bs. If I buy a bike new, mothball it without riding and 20 years later want to sell it. It is still nos as its never been ridden, used, changed from the point of purchase.

Pretty much how I see it. If it is NOS then I expect it not to have been fitted or mounted.
Like the original poster if the frame was built up and it all never got ridden, then the parts are new, unused but not NOS as they have been mounted, and the frame is no longer NOS as it has been built, if you then sell it as new old stock and I got it home but there is marks where BB, brake mounts, drop outs show that things are fitted I would say it's definately not NOS as how would I know it's not been ridden, it's been built?
It's always a hard one and I think, going to be open to individual interpretation. Makes it hard for Ebay sales both from a buyer and a seller.

Jamie

BlackCat":at08u5hs said:
Specifically.. if I fit a precious NOS groupset to maybe the only remaining NOS version of a certain early ‘90s frameset.. what is the exact inflection point when it all stops being NOS?

It’s mainly XT, LX & DX stuff, so nothing fancy - but it’s getting tough to track down NOS M730/650 etc. I’ve managed to convince myself that the groupset can be fitted - but, crucially, not set up (and therefore no chain scores on rings / cages etc) - and still call it NOS.

Maybe I’m over-thinking.

IMHO, you would be able to call the complete assembled bike NOS. Pretty much like it would have come out
of a bicycle assembly plant. The issue though, there would not be an invoice or tags with a signed QC certificate to back up the fact that the complete bike is NOS.

Even after one small shake down ride, it would be "As New", but definitely not NOS.

Any individual parts eventually taken off to be sold would be "New - mounted, but not ridden" or "New take off".

Personally think the NOS thing is no guarantee of condition anyway, I have BNIB parts which are tip-top and NOS parts with storage marks, handling marks, dust layers, gummed up grease, etc. which makes them not in perfect condition.

Back