KHS Montana Comp Build

You've done well to track down a 1" stem so quickly! Where did you get it?
The 130 bars are pretty hard to come by - you'll have to keep your eyes open 👀

Had to slow down a bit this week due to work and other commitments, also kinda ran out of things to do whilst I waited for the postman, a few more parts arrived this morning thanks to the good members of retrobike.

1st up:
The elusive 130gr Zoom handlebars! these should really be black on this bike, but I'm thinking they will look pretty cool in silver,
I'll certainly give them a run and see how I get on, and nice to have anyway.

IMG_7451.jpg

2nd:
M900 cantis

IMG_7448.jpg

After a clean up session:
IMG_7452.jpg
The MT62s that I started the build with were a bit on the chunky side for the KHS frame, I'll save them for something else.
These M900s really sit well with the bike, to my eye atleast, they seem spot on.

IMG_7457.jpg

Commited to these now and cut the cables to size:
IMG_7461.jpg

Here we are, I've borrowed the seat from my Trek and the wheels from the Pro for now, I need a Bontrager VL-192T saddle, can't find one, but it maybe more commonly known as a Bontrager Ti. If anyone knows of one for sale pls give me a shout.

As you can see, a few more bits to do, but nearly ready to go do some bunny hops outside the co-op. 🤘

IMG_7463.jpg

On the saddle; I did manage to find one, but from a riding point of view just note they are very narrow, if you’re planning to ride it all day I’d go with a Flight 😉

Had to slow down a bit this week due to work and other commitments, also kinda ran out of things to do whilst I waited for the postman, a few more parts arrived this morning thanks to the good members of retrobike.

1st up:
The elusive 130gr Zoom handlebars! these should really be black on this bike, but I'm thinking they will look pretty cool in silver,
I'll certainly give them a run and see how I get on, and nice to have anyway.

View attachment 644389

2nd:
M900 cantis

View attachment 644390

After a clean up session:
View attachment 644391
The MT62s that I started the build with were a bit on the chunky side for the KHS frame, I'll save them for something else.
These M900s really sit well with the bike, to my eye atleast, they seem spot on.

View attachment 644392

Commited to these now and cut the cables to size:
View attachment 644393

Here we are, I've borrowed the seat from my Trek and the wheels from the Pro for now, I need a Bontrager VL-192T saddle, can't find one, but it maybe more commonly known as a Bontrager Ti. If anyone knows of one for sale pls give me a shout.

As you can see, a few more bits to do, but nearly ready to go do some bunny hops outside the co-op. 🤘

View attachment 644394
Sent you a PM ;)

The handlebars are right, they were silver on the team, black on the comp.

You’re right about the cantis, look so much better.
Black 130s originally fitted to my Team…

Sent you a PM ;)

Black 130s originally fitted to my Team…
Yeah, you’re right. Looked at a reference photo and it was silver but I guess it’s not original. Catalog clearly says black. Odd choice for a silver stem. I run a modern setup on mine which is all silver for what I thought was correct, ah well.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this together, most appreciated!

The last pieces of the puzzle fitted now.

A very nice 7 speed cassette.
IMG_7468.jpg

a lovely smooth BB-UN71
IMG_7465.jpg

Got the crank & chain installed
IMG_7470.jpg

and we're done!

Ta Da!
IMG_7469.jpg

What a bike, looks just like I hoped!

I shall report back once I've given it a good test run, but very happy with how this turned out.

Cheers! 🙏

Back