Unusual Kona models or colours

Wading through my extensive records of all things Kona, I probably peaked a bit too early yesterday with the gorgeous Titanium Kona Una :cool:

However, if I don't share these images on here, there seems little point in saving them on my computer......

Rightyho, first up is a 1998.5 Kona Nunu in Stars 'n' Bars livery. For what is essentially a mid range frame, this does seem a little extravagant:

98.5 Nu Nu cw 97 SnB 18_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Back to frames that did not appear in a Catalogue any particular year, and the Kilauea in particular, here is a 2000 version that is Kona Double Butted CroMo tubing with Ritchey Hooded Dropouts and has the Glow In The Dark Decals. I must say that its construction is perilously close to the the Kyber rental bike above:

2000 Kilauea 20 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

2000 Kilauea 20_3 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

There are allegedly a couple more Rental bikes from Whistler named after the trails there. The "Fissile" which is a local mountain peak:

Fissle by Philip Mock, on Flickr

.....and the "Joyride" which is a trail in the bike park:

Joyride by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Talking of trails... I'm not sure if this incorrectly spelt Ho' Chi' Min is legitimate, but it appears to be very similar to the 1998 Caldera with Kona CroMo Double Butted tubing and New Drop Investment Cast Dropouts:

Ho Chi Min_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Thanks for this.

Sándor is on the case to persuade Donald not to modify the frame. I've given my advice to Sándor on what to say to the guy. It is only unique once, and will be ruined for all time and eternity if he has it modified. I despair at what these people think o_O.

Pip
I commented the same on the post. I usually dont tell anyone to do anything but when there is literally only one...

Sadly I do not know the Serial Number, but it should be KH17###. It was outed on this site over 12 years ago when it came up for sale on e-Bay in the U.S., and was just before I joined here. Nobody knew anything about it - not even Anthony. The buyer, also in the States was a one time poster on here - see the 3 page thread below.

Some of the pictures that I have on file were discovered after searching on the Internet.

Kona Una

Pip

Interesting reading about the possible added dropouts.

Interesting reading about the possible added dropouts.
I would say that the Sliding Dropouts on this frame were indeed part of the intended construction, with nothing modified or added afterwards.

Sadly I don't have a better close up of them, but you can see in the 2nd picture below the way the standard Hei Hei Bullet Ends are welded to a geared frame with a hanger.

The entry point of the Bullet Ends onto the Dropout Plate looks the same to me on both frames.

TST would have merely Water Cut a different shape Horizontal Sliding Plate for the Single Speed.

98 Kona Una Ti 17 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Hei Hei Dropouts 210611a by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Last edited:
Yes, would be interesting to see the welds talked about close up. I was coming more from the Hei Hei frame template angle, not necessarily building/designing a new model but modifying an existing one.

Yes, would be interesting to see the welds talked about close up. I was coming more from the Hei Hei frame template angle, not necessarily building/designing a new model but modifying an existing one.
Rightyho Mark,

Sándor sent me an e-mail with an attachment of the post shown above by Donald Burger, as he knows I don't do Facebook. He will probably try to get some more pictures of it - as well as try to dissuade Donald from adding a Disc Tab!

If anyone could obtain some better shots of it, then that would be useful. I only have four pictures in total, including the one shown above, which I saved back in 2018.

Pip

Latest posts

Back