Today's Ride

Woke up feeling Friday on Monday morning.
Very busy weekend, very tired.

At the end of the road I groaned and asked myself why I was riding in when I felt so tired. I pushed on and 20 minutes later, as I rolled over the crest of Rawmarsh Hill, I was beaming.

A curious muggy day. A bit grey and mostly overcast, with occasional sunny intervals. Warm and a light breeze. Short nap and right as a bobbin.
19°c at 7:30 am and at 4:30 pm.

Where do I sign up?

I'll do better tomorrow. Screenshot_20210614-185544_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210614-185605_Gallery.jpg

@al-onestare The Crab and Winkle Way is very popular with runners too. While it used to be very stony for much of its length it's recently been smoothed over and even tarmacked at the University of Kent end.

@mk one Southend is visible from Whitstable on clear days (and vice-versa no doubt). I lived in Colchester for a while: nice area. As for the Dead: they were good but it's good to give them a rest for a while too.

Cool 12 degree start, lower in the valleys, rising to 14-15 by 08:30, next to no breeze for once. A stunning morning and - touch wood - no sign of any sea fog 🤣 There was a hint of mist coming into Sennen but thankfully it didn't count for anything worse. I took in the loop to said Sennen, through to just outside St Buryan before heading to Lamorna - that climb out - to Mousehole and Newlyn - and that other climb out - to Lower Drift, Sancreed, Grumbla and back to HQ. I'm a sucker for climbs at the moment...I think I've had too much sun and sea air 🤣

I only noticed the other day that I take in route 3 for a decent stretch. I hope they give plenty of warning that it's not for the beginner!

pSKtOt.jpg

At the top of Mousehole looking across Mounts Bay all the way to the Lizard.

OzBkiM.jpg

Home to work and work to home.

Against the clock, against the elements, against myself.

Warm sunny morning.

Along the towpath at Kilnhurst.
Screenshot_20210615-225506_Gallery.jpg
Along the riverbank behind Mexborough Station. New York Bagel Company in the background.
Screenshot_20210615-225410_Gallery.jpg

Digitalis purperea

Common as muck Screenshot_20210615-225441_Gallery.jpg
13°c early, cooler.
22°c warm, humid, later

Another quick 10 mile blast before playing Kofi Anan, peace-keeping between a pedantic window installer and a non-existent builder. Slight breeze, 12 degrees only rising to 13 by 07:30. Glimpses of blue sky, a lot of fast moving cloud cover.

Took in a few small diversions to continue the explorations. Some worked, some didn't, it's all good and riding single-speed always gets the legs and lungs pumping. Another shot looking over to Cape Cornwall and Wolf Rock lighthouse, from near the top of Kenidjack valley. Nice drop on both sides, probably not worth attempting on any bike 🤣

fsmuNj.jpg

Looking to the week ahead, we still won't break the 20 degree barrier but stranger things have happened...

@al-onestare. Splendid views Al. You've shown us many vistas recently that take much more than a moment to appreciate fully. Thank you. Keep them coming.

This morning it was raining heavily. The forecast didn't look particularly good. I left in the car and it stopped 5 minutes later. Serves me right for pussying out.

So here is yesterday's ride instead.

The ginnell (or snicket, indeed whichever colloquialism you prefer) behind Swinton Station. Yep, I really need to have a think about alternative route options... To the left is the station: and the right is Waddington's boatyard. Screenshot_20210616-190535_Photos.jpg

Today should have been more of the same.
98 is all I have available at the moment but it's been faultless.

17°c in the morning, which was nice.
27°c coming home, getting a little uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I went for another thrash this evening on the newly rebuilt retro mountain bike. Fortunately with all the dry weather the trails were almost completely dry. I hate to muddy it up when it's all still so shiny. Maybe I will just ride it in summer, and stick to road bikes the rest of the year, although I'd feel like a bit of a fraud, and not a 'real' mountain biker. I started off with exploring a couple of trails that are round the back of my house. Although I've lived in the same place for years, I never bothered finding out where these trails went. Then I went to the main park, which is huge, and is considered to be one of the largest city parks in Europe. I did a bit of fairly tame riding first, then decided to try a few of the trails that lead away from the main lakeside trail. I've walked around the lake loads of times, but never found out where any of these trails go. I thought there wouldn't be much to ride on away from the main lakeside trail, but quickly found that the trails above the lake are like a rabbit warren, with numerous trails branching off all over the place. And with all the tree cover, and a heavily overcast sky, the trails seemed almost as dark as a rabbit warren too. As I climbed higher up the hillside above the lake, picking trails to follow at random, I discovered a beautiful, ornate, bird-cage style trellis, quietly rusting away in its secret little corner. There were what I think are rhododendrons growing nearby, so evidently this part of the park had been landscaped and planted before it became a public park. Then I strayed into the neighbouring golf course and cycled around the edge of some of the fairways before looking for a route back into the park. I followed one trail, but it was so narrow and overgrown I turned back and looked for a better route. A little further along I encountered two young lads on MTBs coming the other way, so I knew I'd found a half decent route back into the park. I finished my circuit of the lake, cycled up to the folly and the smaller lake, then rode home.

Another quick 10 mile blast before playing Kofi Anan, peace-keeping between a pedantic window installer and a non-existent builder. Slight breeze, 12 degrees only rising to 13 by 07:30. Glimpses of blue sky, a lot of fast moving cloud cover.

Took in a few small diversions to continue the explorations. Some worked, some didn't, it's all good and riding single-speed always gets the legs and lungs pumping. Another shot looking over to Cape Cornwall and Wolf Rock lighthouse, from near the top of Kenidjack valley. Nice drop on both sides, probably not worth attempting on any bike 🤣

fsmuNj.jpg

Looking to the week ahead, we still won't break the 20 degree barrier but stranger things have happened...
Wow! Great place to ride! It looks like the sort of riding where the trail gets a bit gnarly when the rock is exposed.

Back