The "I'm not doing so well" thread

None of you guys know me. I contribute to Today's Ride and occasionally buy bits and pieces on the forum. I suppose I'm a fringe contributor. I don't know if this is appropriate but I'm going to unload it here.

I recently hit 50, and have nothing to show for it. I have no kids of my own and I'm living back with my mum. My 40's were the worst decade of my adult life. They opened with me running my own very successful business: and shortly after my 40th meeting a woman I would later marry. That's where it all started to go wrong.

I'd just been through a phase of casual relationships when along came something that, on the surface at least, appeared to be the real deal. She literally threw herself at me. I couldn't believe my luck. It was an absolute whirlwind. I'd moved in with her after a week. On the surface the relationship was idyllic. I was very much mistaken. It was all a game. She turned out to be a monster. I was subjected to covert and systematic financial and emotional abuse for 5 years. It was a soap opera. Horror upon horror. Identity fraud, credit card fraud, benefit fraud, defrauding my parents and sister out of large sums of money behind my back. Ccj's, bailiffs and loan sharks. Members of her family demanding 10's of thousands of pounds to pay off debts she owed them. There was always drama: at home, at work, wherever she went. She had me physically assaulted on a couple of occasions. It never stopped.

There was always an excuse, an explanation, or her ex was to blame. Her stories weren't always watertight though, and she was a poor liar. When she got found out or couldn't explain herself she would turn on the waterworks and say that I was abusing her, just like her ex did.

She was always pushing for money. Everything was about money. I was never working hard enough. More overtime, longer hours, more expense, always more more more. By the time I cottoned on to the fact it was all a scam she was deeply embroiled in two affairs and planning her escape. She was playing the two guys off against each other. When I confronted her it was like a switch had been flipped. She gave me two weeks to 'get out'. I'd sold my business and all the money was gone. It was horrible. For the first time in my life I had debt and a lot of it. What a fool I'd been.

I met my next partner whilst I was still messed up and getting divorced. She was completely different: well educated, sophisticated, self respecting, responsible, or so I thought. This time we progressed much more slowly. Once we'd moved in together and the 'honeymoon period' was over reality struck and the relationship became a source of disappointment. We weren't equal, never would be, and I was fooling myself to think otherwise. Lip-service was paid to my thoughts and feelings, but in reality, whatever I had to say was unimportant and largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I was constantly undermined, shot down or overruled. I couldn't believe how often I was wrong. As a consequence no matter what I did I couldn't earn the respect of her kids. I'd never had a problem with my ex-wife's kids. Major decisions were made without my input, and the elephant in the room was a deepening chasm of debt on a journey to a place I'd been before. All in pursuit of an unsustainable lifestyle to compete for the affection of her children with her narcissistic ex-husband. So ridiculous were the lengths she went to, that when it came to her divorce she gave him everything he wanted, so as not to be the source of conflict in the eyes of her kids. My role was simple, I was there to provide financial support, and nothing else. He made no contribution at all, yet she let him come into our home against my wishes, as and when he pleased. He would regularly insult and belittle me in Spanish, only ever speaking in his native tongue when I was present.

Respite came for two days in every 14, when the kids were with their dad. That and the time out on my bike, which was ever increasing. The final straw was a default letter, which she'd left out and then had the gall to lie about. There was a place I had no intention of revisiting. It was time to go.

It's now a year since I left Jo. I think I'm a better person for it, although it doesn't always feel that way.

Stress? My doctor is now talking about stopping the medication I take for hypertension because my blood pressure has dropped so much. My life would have been much shorter had I stayed. Although it nearly was after I left, but I've managed to work through most of that, for the time being.

At the end of the decade, I find myself in a demoralising and dangerous dead end government job, where I haven't had a pay rise in 7 years. I'm wiser but weaker. Life has caught up with me and I get a bit panicky, wondering where the time went and how I ended up here.

Some days posting on this forum is all that keeps me going...

Last edited:
None of you guys know me. I contribute to Today's Ride and occasionally buy bits and pieces on the forum. I suppose I'm a fringe contributor. I don't know if this is appropriate but I'm going to unload it here.

I recently hit 50, and have nothing to show for it. I have no kids of my own and I'm living back with my mum. My 40's were the worst decade of my adult life. They opened with me running my own very successful business: and shortly after my 40th meeting a woman I would marry. That's where it all started to go wrong.

She literally threw herself at me. I couldn't believe my luck. It was an absolute whirlwind. I'd moved in with her after a week. On the surface the relationship was idyllic. I was very much mistaken. It was all a game. She turned out to be a monster. I was subjected to covert and systematic financial and emotional abuse for 5 years. It was a soap opera. Horror upon horror. Identity fraud, credit card fraud, benefit fraud, defrauding my parents and sister out of large sums of money behind my back. Ccj's, bailiffs and loan sharks. Members of her family demanding 10's of thousands of pounds to pay off debts she owed them. There was always drama. She had me physically assaulted on a couple of occasions. It never stopped.

There was always an excuse, or an explanation, or her ex was to blame. Her stories weren't always consistent though, and she was a poor liar. When she got found out or couldn't explain herself she would turn on the waterworks and say that I was abusing her, just like her ex did.

She was always pushing for money. Everything was about money. I was never working hard enough. More overtime, longer hours, more expense, always more more more. By the time I cottoned on to the fact it was all a scam she was deeply embroiled in two affairs and planning her escape. She was playing the two guys off against each other. When I confronted her she gave me two weeks to 'get out'. I'd sold my business and all the money was gone. It was horrible. For the first time in my life I had debt and a lot of it. What a fool I'd been.

I met my next partner whilst I was still messed up and getting divorced. She was completely different: well educated, sophisticated, self respecting, responsible, or so I thought. This time we progressed much more slowly. Once we'd moved in together and the 'honeymoon period' was over reality struck and the relationship became a source of disappointment. We weren't equal, and never would be. Lip-service was paid to my thoughts and feelings, but really, whatever I had to say was unimportant and largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Major decisions were made without me, and the future appeared as a spiralling pit of debt so that she could maintain an unsustainable lifestyle to compete for the affection of her children with her ex-husband. So ridiculous were the lengths she went to, that when it came to her divorce she gave him everything he wanted, so as not to be the source of conflict. He made no contribution at all, yet she let him come into our home against my wishes, as and when he pleased. He would insult and belittle me in Spanish regularly, only ever speaking in his native tongue when I was present.

Freedom came for two days in every 14, when the kids were with their dad, and the time out on my bike, which was ever increasing. The final straw was a default letter, which she'd left out and then had the gall to lie about. Here was a place I had no intention of revisiting.

It's now a year since I left Jo. I'm a better person for it. Stress? My doctor is now talking about stopping the medication I take for Hypertension because my blood pressure has dropped so much. My life would have been much shorter had I stayed. Although it nearly was after I left, but I've managed to work through most of that, for the time being.

At the end of the decade, I find myself in a stressful and dangerous dead end government job, where I haven't had a pay rise in 7 years. Life has caught up with me and I get a bit panicky, wondering where the time went and how I ended up here.

Some days posting on this forum is all that keeps me going...
Crikey, I echo the last few sentences, time has flown and I've realised I am over half way there, if I'm lucky.

My last 2 relationships were quite toxic at times but luckily not deep enough to actually get to a church.tbh karen is amazing and gets it,and the cycling

"You think you've got problems? What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed robot? No, don't try to answer that. I'm fifty thousand times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level."

Man I didn't realise people had so much going on in their lives/heads, I can't really imagine what it must be like to go through that.

Retrobike really does help 👍

@Markybeau that can't have been easy to share, but thank you for doing so. No-one knows what it going on under the surface.

We are all pixels on this forum that bounce into each other once in a while. I've never met anyone in person, but I've interacted with one of the most helpful communities I've found. In a world where forums are becoming obsolete as people move to Facebook and other platforms, this is proving a rarity. I guess we're all of a demographic that means we're less interested with the new-fangled and celebrate the old good stuff that still works.

There's a place for old guys (and girls) lending each other a virtual oily rag to wipe the chain and kick a few worn tyres. It's right here.

Maybe we need a tea and toast subforum - a place for idle chat and checking in once in a while.

MarkyB - an honest and really open story. Or three, I guess….looking at the different phases you have been through.

Over on the thread about ‘experience over youth’ you will know that I am over sixty and try to keep up with my younger self as well as my 16-year old son. I know that the years are short but whilst it bothers me sometimes - your idea that in terms of years the glass may well be less than half empty - but I just relish the next ride, and then the next. The onward road doesn‘t bother me much since I have lost younger friends to accident and illness - through good fortune (usually that and not good judgement) I have survived accidents and mountain epics, and feel that I have had an extended life. Feeding into that is the fact that my wife died through cancer when she was 30…and every day I think that I have had twice the life that she had.

After my wife died I had much the same experience of relationships as you. One person popped up in my life and was great to be with…until the same kinds of weirdness which you describe emerged… a web of deceit…topped by the fact that I had in effect, unbeknown to me, been stalked. Worst comment was ‘you looked after you wife when she was dying..now look after me’. Wrong in so many ways. Stupid of me to let the same thing unfold a second time, but with different details, a couple of years’ later. As you say….wasted years. But twice bitten, thrice shy…I feel much more cautious now and have dodged quite a few relationship bullets with, dare I say it, reasonable skill and judgement. See them coming and don‘t even engage. RUN! HIDE!

Well..it all makes for a rich history…

Eat well. Sleep well. Listen to good music. Seek new experiences. Drink good coffee. Have a nice cake. Ride with my son. Teach my daughter to drive. Learn not to case that double. Nice.

@Markybeau thought about getting a dog? Maybe call it lucky?

Everything is experience. After technically dying a few years ago, I realised the alternatives to life aren’t that fulfilling. Make your choices. Change your path. Make different choices. Move forward. Backward. It matters not. Be true to yourself. Compromise but only if you are comfortable with the ground given. You can always take it back. Make mistakes. Admit them freely but try to learn from them. Happiness is relative. There’s always somebody coping with something worse than your situation or enjoying something better. Be comfortable with that. But never choose to squander the life you have.

We are all valued.

Peace, love, respect and understanding to all.

THM.

Well almost all.

Last edited:
Back