Smartphone mount, what type?

I use the Quadlock stem mount, it has a couple of o-rings that go round the tube. I mostly mount it on the bars, though, because the modern bike doesn't have a long enough stem and the tourer's stem is too steeply angled for me to see the phone.

Wherever I put it, it stays put.

My usual phone case is an Otterbox defender which is great as it stopped my run of dropped/broken phones. It is, however, quite bulky and a pain to take out of the case to use any other sort of case or mount. I bought some chinesium knock offs of the outer shell from AliExpress, drilled them and cable tied them to my bike with some foam tape to conform to the surface between tape and stem, works perfectly and I have them on several bikes now for minimal cost. It clips in and out of these very securely. Probably a bit heath robinson for some but works well for me.

My usual phone case is an Otterbox defender which is great as it stopped my run of dropped/broken phones. It is, however, quite bulky and a pain to take out of the case to use any other sort of case or mount. I bought some chinesium knock offs of the outer shell from AliExpress, drilled them and cable tied them to my bike with some foam tape to conform to the surface between tape and stem, works perfectly and I have them on several bikes now for minimal cost. It clips in and out of these very securely. Probably a bit heath robinson for some but works well for me.
I love the sound of cheap.

Got a pic of said setup?

I love the sound of cheap.

Got a pic of said setup?
Sure,

The original case
IMG_3902.jpeg

The knock offs I’ve attached, can only get to two of them, bit full out there!

IMG_3899.jpeg IMG_3900.jpeg IMG_3901.jpeg

I’ve done loads of miles on a variety of surfaces and weather conditions with no issues. My main gripe isn’t with the case but the phone it’s self when using OS maps for an unfamiliar route it uses loads of battery.

Search defender case on AliExpress or Temu - the whole case is £6.49 on Temu at the moment.

It’s a bit of a bodge but cheeeep.

Sure,

The original case
View attachment 809847

The knock offs I’ve attached, can only get to two of them, bit full out there!

View attachment 809844View attachment 809845View attachment 809846

I’ve done loads of miles on a variety of surfaces and weather conditions with no issues. My main gripe isn’t with the case but the phone it’s self when using OS maps for an unfamiliar route it uses loads of battery.

Search defender case on AliExpress or Temu - the whole case is £6.49 on Temu at the moment.

It’s a bit of a bodge but cheeeep.
Can't see why it wouldn't work. Thanks for sharing. One problem is my short stems, hehe. It could work on my Dutch Check though, just at an angle.

I'm going to peruse big Ali, I have a fair few things coming from there anyway so will see

20231214_234235.jpg

About your battery life. You thought about getting a wee top tube mounted bag, about the size of a medium powerbank and hook it up to the phone once you're down to 30ish? Spare the battery too.

I use a topeak waterproof ziplock bag style case. You can get handlebar or stem top cap mounts for them. The case is generic, so works with any phone, and you don't have to rely on a 3M sticky pad to hold the quadlock onto the back of your phone or your phone case.

Will have to check if there's a brand on the cheapie I use, it clamps securely to the bars, is adjustable for desired angle (ideal to cut glare if using for maps as I do) and the phone locks securely in place. I can vouch for the security as it held the phone solid during the heavy stack that killed off my old Palisades (bent fork/steerer/bars & stem and egged out head tube). The mount not only held the phone, it didn't even move on the bars... Needless to say, although it's a little bulky I am impressed and would recommend, as long as I can find what it is and from where! Will endeavour to get back tomorrow.

Back