Site Issues Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
John":7helybcv said:
Had a quick look, let me know if that works...

Works for me

In regards to all the daily spam posts, I was wondering if perhaps it would be useful to look into some of the many anti spam phpBB extensions that exist. If not perhaps you could make use of the mod approval system for the users first post. So, if their first post is legitimate it gets approved (manually by a mod) and they're fine to go on using the board, if it's spam then they can be banned.

Alternatively you could simply block new users from being able to post URL's for the first few posts, this would not eradicate the spam posts but would keep users safer should they accidentally click on the link.

spam-wall.0.0.jpg

Spammmmmmmmmm.......

Attachments

• 7098F3D4-DE19-4822-B46A-575251F6106A.jpeg
    7098F3D4-DE19-4822-B46A-575251F6106A.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,297
Couldn't new-user posts be assessed by a moderator before being posted for say, the first week ?
I've noticed a big difference in the last few days and something needs to be done, if only for the *in*sanity of us 'normal' folk.

Corblimeyguv":rcwmbrxq said:
Couldn't new-user posts be assessed by a moderator before being posted for say, the first week ?
I've noticed a big difference in the last few days and something needs to be done, if only for the *in*sanity of us 'normal' folk.

A week might be a bit much depending on how active moderators are, and it might deter people from using the forum. The reason why I think the moderating the first post could drastically lower the amount of spammers is because it seems that 90% of the spammers straight up sign up, post their shite and that's it. They're not very sophisticated bots.

Alternatively adding a more sophisticated captcha to the sign up process would probably do wonders as well.

Corblimeyguv":3lj9aps5 said:
Do we agree that this would be a reasonable solution, even though we are asking the Moderators to spend more time moderating.

I recently joined two enthusiasts sites with a view to gleaning some information that wasn't forthcoming from the Manufacturer's spiel or Google search. Both of these site required my simple inquiry to be vetted by a Moderator before they were posted up on the site.

Or.... is there a simple setting within the Site's software that can prevent a first time poster to include a URL?

Pip

pipmeister":21rj4xy4 said:
Corblimeyguv":21rj4xy4 said:
Do we agree that this would be a reasonable solution, even though we are asking the Moderators to spend more time moderating.

I recently joined two enthusiasts sites with a view to gleaning some information that wasn't forthcoming from the Manufacturer's spiel or Google search. Both of these site required my simple inquiry to be vetted by a Moderator before they were posted up on the site.

Or.... is there a simple setting within the Site's software that can prevent a first time poster to include a URL?

Pip

As I have mentioned a few posts above phpbb has plenty of user rules built in that can be adjusted. Links can be blocked for new users, you could even limit their ability to post threads until they've made 10 comments. You could even make a rule that they have to introduce themselves in the introduction thread, the possibilities are endless. I also believe updating the captcha to google's recaptcha would be useful.

Along with that there's loads of anti spam extensions for phpbb, plus range banning could probably be an option to try out for a bit, sure it may block some legitimate users but those can contact administration and be excluded.

Imlach":3betb1fc said:
pipmeister":3betb1fc said:
Corblimeyguv":3betb1fc said:

Pip

As I have mentioned a few posts above phpbb has plenty of user rules built in that can be adjusted. Links can be blocked for new users, you could even limit their ability to post threads until they've made 10 comments. You could even make a rule that they have to introduce themselves in the introduction thread, the possibilities are endless. I also believe updating the captcha to google's recaptcha would be useful.

Along with that there's loads of anti spam extensions for phpbb, plus range banning could probably be an option to try out for a bit, sure it may block some legitimate users but those can contact administration and be excluded.
Oh right that's excellent, easy peasy lemon squeezy; so what are we awaiting for :D .

Pip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back