Rocky mountain. Which should (can) I choose?

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
Hello. I just finished an Almega DX 1991 as my teenager's epoque bike. I could resist to replace my broken Megalite shit stem and Kalloy seatpost for nice Syncros black pieces. And a Flite Titanium....

Now, once I started to dig in the forums, I'e been remembering which bikes liked me the most in 90's and I can't resist to a Rocky mountain as second dish.

Which one is the one I can afford and I have some opportunity to find ? I would like an Altitude or a Vertex 1991-1994, or similar.
I've find also some Equipe and Stratos. But I don't know if they deserve to be collected. I only want to hae 2 vintage bikes the maximum!
I found a nice Altitude in Ebay but with a big dent in TT for 199€ . It's a pitty! It's very visible!

Please, advices!

Attachments

• Alpi.jpg
    Alpi.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 24
I want one to install a Mag21 or Judy (better Mag), Syncros stem and seatpost , and Xt or Xtr brake/drivetrain.

Here's something somebody on the forum said once regarding early 90s Rocky Mountain lineup. I can't remember whom:
"
1992 roster from bottom up.... (they ALL had Ritchey tires at the time, rocky was the ritchey distributor for canada and used a lot of their parts as a result)

#1 Fusion w/ Deore LX group (and this is back when group meant the FULL group, none of this alivio stuff with XT derailleur like you see today), Tange fork (basically same fork as your expert and the hammer used) and Ishiwata butted chromoly frame.

#2 Hammer w/Deore DX group and Ritchey Logic chromoly frame and again that same tange fork, Wolber AT-20 rims

#3 Equipe w/Prestige chromoly frame, DX group, and the same fork shape as the hammer but made from butted chromoly tubing, Wolber AT-18 rims

#4 Experience w/E-stay 7005 Frame and DX group, Tange BigFork, Wolber AT-20 rims, Girvin rockring, and powergrips on the pedals

#5 Stratos w/regular 7005 frame and DX group, Tange BigFork and some more ritchey parts and Wolber AT-18 rims, toe clips on the pedals

(technically the stratos/experience were identical level being the exact same price, but the experience was built beefier as a Woods bike and the Stratos was more an XC race bike)

#6 Expert w/Prestige chromoly frame, XT group, and otherwise parts of the Equipe and basically only available in selected markets... canada got most of them

#7 Blizzard (glacier being the euro version, probably due to some other brand using the blizzard name there) w/Prestige Concept frame, XT Group, and Syncros parts for the stem and bar, Tange Struts rigid fork that year (the syncros fork had been discountinued, and only the Team Comp and Altitude got suspension forks that year), Wolber AT-18 rims

#8 Team Comp which got the aforementioned scott forks, xc-comp MD group, and prestige ultimate frame, same price as the blizzard, Wolber AT-15 rims

#9 Vertex which was the Blizzard with a Ritchey/XT component group and racier geometry, Wolber AT-15 rims

#10 Cirrus w/ E-stay 7005 frame, XT group, syncros stem/bar/post and Mag-20 fork

#11 Altitude which had a prestige ultimate superlight frame that year, Mag-20 fork, XTR group, racing geometry and a significant price hike over the cirrus ($600), Wolber AT-15 rims

#12 Titanium with obviously a ti frame, another $1100 hike over the altitude for basically the same parts otherwise.

Then there were the thunderbolt and tantalus models which were custom-order only frames, handbuilt with all sorts of options. Thunderbolts were brazed, tantalus were tig-welded."

There are catalogs in the archives as well, if you look through those, you might get an idea of what you are looking for.

Here's something somebody on the forum said once regarding early 90s Rocky Mountain lineup. I can't remember whom:
"
1992 roster from bottom up.... (they ALL had Ritchey tires at the time, rocky was the ritchey distributor for canada and used a lot of their parts as a result)

#1 Fusion w/ Deore LX group (and this is back when group meant the FULL group, none of this alivio stuff with XT derailleur like you see today), Tange fork (basically same fork as your expert and the hammer used) and Ishiwata butted chromoly frame.

#2 Hammer w/Deore DX group and Ritchey Logic chromoly frame and again that same tange fork, Wolber AT-20 rims

#3 Equipe w/Prestige chromoly frame, DX group, and the same fork shape as the hammer but made from butted chromoly tubing, Wolber AT-18 rims

#4 Experience w/E-stay 7005 Frame and DX group, Tange BigFork, Wolber AT-20 rims, Girvin rockring, and powergrips on the pedals

#5 Stratos w/regular 7005 frame and DX group, Tange BigFork and some more ritchey parts and Wolber AT-18 rims, toe clips on the pedals

(technically the stratos/experience were identical level being the exact same price, but the experience was built beefier as a Woods bike and the Stratos was more an XC race bike)

#6 Expert w/Prestige chromoly frame, XT group, and otherwise parts of the Equipe and basically only available in selected markets... canada got most of them

#7 Blizzard (glacier being the euro version, probably due to some other brand using the blizzard name there) w/Prestige Concept frame, XT Group, and Syncros parts for the stem and bar, Tange Struts rigid fork that year (the syncros fork had been discountinued, and only the Team Comp and Altitude got suspension forks that year), Wolber AT-18 rims

#8 Team Comp which got the aforementioned scott forks, xc-comp MD group, and prestige ultimate frame, same price as the blizzard, Wolber AT-15 rims

#9 Vertex which was the Blizzard with a Ritchey/XT component group and racier geometry, Wolber AT-15 rims

#10 Cirrus w/ E-stay 7005 frame, XT group, syncros stem/bar/post and Mag-20 fork

#11 Altitude which had a prestige ultimate superlight frame that year, Mag-20 fork, XTR group, racing geometry and a significant price hike over the cirrus ($600), Wolber AT-15 rims

#12 Titanium with obviously a ti frame, another $1100 hike over the altitude for basically the same parts otherwise.

Then there were the thunderbolt and tantalus models which were custom-order only frames, handbuilt with all sorts of options. Thunderbolts were brazed, tantalus were tig-welded."

There are catalogs in the archives as well, if you look through those, you might get an idea of what you are looking for.
Thank you! I like aestetically the altitude of most years. I found a bored grey vertex. And because I already have an Al mega, I think o prefer cromoly, so Altitude or Blizzard seems my choice.... But im not going to catalogue assembly. I will go to Good sensations assembly i would say. Syncros, Mag21 and xt or xtr.

Latest posts

Back