Which is a good bike to go for now?

Fatboy1974

Rocky Mountain Fan
Alpinestars Fan
Background: (In Catalonia, Barcelona area) )I started to do MTB with a BH 18 speed mtb in 1989, then I had an Almega DX in 1991, i replaced the frame because if a fisure for a non E-stay ASR Alpinestars in 1995, then a SPZ Stumpj FSR XC in 1999 and then several MSC due to my brand enginner extra freelance job. Now with a fully 140mm Fr-120mm R, dropper post, carbon MSC.

In november 2022 I started with retrobikes. I bought my Alpinestars Almega DX 1991 (identical to my first serious mtb), I started replacing seatpost and stem to Syncros stuff.

In March 2023 I bought my Rocky Mountain Altitude 1995, but I finished it in sept-oct.

Then I've bought many pieces ( A lot of Syncros stuff, RaceFace, Controltech, Titec, etc).
I need more..... Another bike still fits in my garage....

I've in mind something like:

GT RTS-1 or Team ( maybe 2 or 3 if they don't appear ).
Merlin Titanium
GT Zaskar or Xizang
Matybe and FSR XC M4?

In sizes 18.5-19" aprox.

Other idea. There are so many..... ( YETI would be also nice)...

Very different bikes for sure.

Personally a Xizang or Merlin sit way above the others mentioned in terms of hierarchy. Far harder to get though.

RTS1 is a totally different thing to a 2 or 3 so I’d go for the proper one.

All else fails Zaskar is best bang for buck and easy to source.

FSR is a bit meh 😒

Thank you. I have some Merlins under surveillance. Which would be a fair price for a frame? 700€?900?1200?

From your list, I'd take a Xizang.
Don't want to sway your decision, but I might be putting my RTS-1 frame up for sale in the near future.

I've got a '91 Zaskar frameset thats looking for new home

I'd have a look around at some different interesting style and see what takes your fancy.

To be honest a Zaskar/Xizang you'd only be building because you like GT and fancy that style of frame. After that there is little different in them, the earlier groove tube/ubrakes are more interesting. d8mok may be just a tad bias when it comes to Xizang's ;)

Anything with the fun of early rear suspension is more interesting to build and get working, if you like rear suspension.
the XC M4 has the problem of... well how do I say it, looking BSO in style? No doubt a legacy of being a nice bike and replicated by all the cheap supermarket bikes. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1999-specialized-s-works-fsr-xc-m4-build-thread.455203/ a bit after my time though.

Back