MacRetro chat and rides thread

I was just off the phone to hope over wanting the tech x2's serviced. The pistons on the rear dont retract as easily as they should, and even with the bite point right off still dont want to go the last 1mm or so.

Their service is now £49.99 :? A bit pricey but for that you get new seals, new pistons and new pads, and hope pads alone are normally 17 quid, 14 for pistons, then theres the seals, and then its the same on the lever, pretty much effectively new.
Then of course you need a bore cap tool specific.... :facepalm: :LOL: and of course the patience to sit down, take it all to bits, clean it all. Get seals off without damaging anything. then reassemble, then fill and then bleed.
Thats IF it all goes right first time.
All in all for 50 quid, thats a bargain.

Im sure a wee ebay sell off Rob would easily provide the funds for any service with whoever.

Re: Re:

old_coyote_pedaller":1x9f36f2 said:
Basically what clubby said. Found out the hard way not to bleed or add fluid if there's worn pads in caliper.
Have had success fixing problem by cracking bleed nipple open and gently moving pads away from disc. A wee drop of fluid comes out allowing pistons to retract a bit so pads don't rub.

On the other hand though yer pistons in caliper might be sticky, sometimes happens if you don't use bike regularly, like when ye've got sooo many to choose from..........

Aye I've heard a drop or two of sticky fluid comes out when Rob cracks one off :LOL:

Just thought I would share a link to my build page for my old Mercian King of Mercia.
I have had it for a while and while it was a sound bike it looked a bit knocked around and so I decided earlier this year to get it repaint. I wanted it bright green rather than the BRG that it was and also needed the dent in the top tube and seat tube fixed. I have been getting photos as the work has gone on while I was away the other couple of weeks but this morning got a couple of the main paint finished, decals on and the clearcoated. It now goes to a great guy called Martin for the lug lining and filling in.
I personally am very, very happy and think it looks brilliant :)
Had to share :)
Build thread post with more photos here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=356692&start=20
and there is a lot more on the blog as well.

Jamie

2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

5 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

They were only small but I think they were brass or silver brazed. Will check with Dave.
I have only done old motorbike tanks and covers myself and they were usually high content silver solder which was filled and wiped.

Jamie

Back