MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

Been in the breeze for a while. Personally I struggle to see how it will pay all year round. Chairlift bike park idea at the Golfie also seems a bit far fetched.

Some suites will make lots of money from the government funding before it folds, as is usual. Then the legacy in 10 years will maybe be a local bike shop, the mill will be a tourist centre and coffee shop and there might be a few more nicely developed trails nearby that will most likely have been built and maintained by volunteers.
I might be cynical but it does seem to be how these things work in Scotland, be it windfarms, tidal energy, tourist developments. Some committee in Edinburgh will get a government grant of lets say £1 million to develop something, the think tank and feasibility will take at least half of that with maybe the rest not quite reaching far enough to purchase or start the developed plan and will most likely go bust blaming the lack of continued support from the government for it's failure. Meanwhile 2 dudes in Edinburgh have lived large for 2 years talking the talk and living the dream and will finish feeling let down. They will most likely have the company Mercedes in their salary package.
It's how the energy sector works.

Jamie

Re:

Not cynical at all Jaimie - this sadly happens all too frequently. I've seen several examples, the worst of which was probably Jaeger the clothing company who got millions to establish a new factory in Campbeltown during the 90s to help prop up the local economy. A couple of years later the building was all but derelict and HIE, the funding body, paid to have it demolished as the powers that be were too embarrassed to have it sitting there empty.
I got involved as we (the council) were eying it up for a new area depot along with the former RAF base at Macrihanish. There are numerous examples of similar situations with very few people or organisations being held to account :evil:
Pisses me off as if we put a foot wrong (thankfully not often at all) we'd be royally hauled over the coals :shock:

Cairngorm Funicular also springs to mind.........a lot of money dispersed to some very strange places!

Back