MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re: Re:

RobMac":1gfbnss4 said:
Over the last 5 or 6 months the cycling has been neglected and I've missed it :?

Maybe it’s been the break you needed Rob?
You’ve never really been back into since your heart op 3 years ago. Getting away from it and enjoying other things in life will have done you good, even if it doesn’t seem like if at the moment.

“Gravel” rims are just xc MTB rims from before the current trend for wide rims.
Go for an xc 29er rim, 19 to 21mm internal. That’s if you can bear to admit you’re riding a 29er.

Re:

As Clubby Says, it's just a 700c/29er rim, and all but the narrowest rim will be happy with a 40c tyre.
I'm using some 27.5/650b mtb wheels on my bike, a bit weighty but strong enough to tackle some silly singletrack stuff.
If you want a bit lighter then look at cx rims, Stans Grail etc...
You Could use road rims for even less weight, but they're generally narrow and lower spoke count ie not as strong, but I've used road wheels on fire road tracks etc and not had any issues.
More important imo is that the rims are Tubeless compatible, so you can run lower pressures in the bigger 40c tyres, and it saves on inner tubes and patches!

jimo746":202ex10t said:
...More important imo is that the rims are Tubeless compatible, so you can run lower pressures in the bigger 40c tyres, and it saves on inner tubes and patches!
There's lots of advantage to tubeless, but if you're a serial tyre changer like me, tubes are betterer - unless you live somewhere with lots of thorns.

As for rims, any modern rim with a box section is way better than what we used to get in the past and I'll happily use them for offroad. I don't like low spoke counts for offroad though, but that's just in case, rather than because I've had problems with them.

epicyclo":akr86wga said:
There's lots of advantage to tubeless, but if you're a serial tyre changer like me, tubes are betterer - unless you live somewhere with lots of thorns.

One of the best thing for me about tubeless is that you can’t be arsed changing tyres so often. Used to be a proper rubber whore, changing 3 to 4 times a year as conditions change. Since going tubeless I just chose a tyre and ride it until it wears out.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 411
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 385
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back