Kona Kilauea 1997

Unless I make mistakes it'll just be a '97 Kileaua and '99 Explosif mongrel! I think the Sids are 2001?
Slotted forks in today and sat it on its wheels. I have no bike stand nor even a bench any longer, building "on the floor" harsh on my nearly 74 y.o. back!

First (only?) decision - 737 or 739 chainset? If it were ever likely to go out in the muck then 737 because easier to replace rings. But it won't, so maybe the 739 as that is what rest is and from same bike.
Any views?! 20220711_135917.jpg 20220711_140015.jpg 20220711_140043.jpg

737 is my favourite groupset for riding, though if the rest is 739 then you may as well go that route, though for a second time, Kona never liked matched components :)

btw, you can get a 5 bolt spider for the 739 crank ;) :)

I think you could argue either, there is plenty of both black (Sids legs and seatpost) and silver (Sids crown and stem), so both would work but one may give a better balance. I think the reason I like the all silver is it gives quite a clean look.

Hmmmm!
Perhaps I will fit mechs and (silver) bars and look at it as more of a whole ensemble before deciding!

I like the all silver look too, can always swap if you decide one way or the other.
Thanks Rob. I am leaning towards keeping all that was on the Explosif together - altho doesn't all match, the V levers are XT but the calipers are Avid!
The all bare 739 c'set will give a visual focus point! (How pretentious is that?!)

Back