Is this safe?!

I'd say not safe. I'd also say it would be worth trying to find someone to weld it. It shouldn't cost much, and as it was free, after fixing it should make it safe to ride and still be a cheap 'purchase".

If everything else on the bike is usable, got to be worth it. Another old bike saved from the scrap heap. Raleigh were a decent brand back then, though I think the massif wasn't too high in their pecking order. Still better now than a cheap Halfords bike hands down.

Ex mechanic here also. Hell...I'd rig that if it's just a bar hopper bike. Using nothing more than spare parts and time.
I'd clamp the seat stays to squeeze it in place. drill a hole through the seat tube/seat post and run a nut/bolt through it. Just make sure the seat post is at the correct height before drilling through.
Get fancy and file down some 45 degree aluminum spacers for the correct angle on the seat stay.

That or batteries and jumper cable to weld it.

Frame would be done so you have nothing to lose at this point

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone! I asked on the local Facebook pages and a local welder has offered to do the job for a small donation to the Air Ambulance charity - looking forward to getting out on the old Raleigh now!

@Once A Hero Thank you! Love the Coupe S but theres not many about now at all. Mine was my first car too and is my pride and joy - still turns heads at local car shows, even more so than my Alfa 156!

Hi all - first time poster

Today I picked up a bike for free from Facebook Marketplace, a late 80s early 90s Raleigh Massif

I didn't realise until I got home that the rear seat stay bar has become detatched from the frame at the top on one side.

Is this a high-stress area and would JB-Weld or similar metal-infused-epoxy be an adequate fix for this or is this bike a writeoff? As the bike was free I don't really want to spend lots on it if it turns out to be a basketcase. I will not be mountain biking it, just using it as a commuter bike (or more honestly a bike to go to the pub on!)

I only have a very basic knowledge on bikes (I'm usually into my cars!) so I apologise if this is a stupid question

Thanks, OliView attachment 843261View attachment 843264
I had a Raleigh frame in the 90’s that detached in exactly the same place. Foolishly i carried on riding it but I was young and skint!
Not sure what model it was but it was a purple colour if my memory serves me well?

Back