Is this safe?!

carnerd

Retro Newbie
Hi all - first time poster

Today I picked up a bike for free from Facebook Marketplace, a late 80s early 90s Raleigh Massif

I didn't realise until I got home that the rear seat stay bar has become detatched from the frame at the top on one side.

Is this a high-stress area and would JB-Weld or similar metal-infused-epoxy be an adequate fix for this or is this bike a writeoff? As the bike was free I don't really want to spend lots on it if it turns out to be a basketcase. I will not be mountain biking it, just using it as a commuter bike (or more honestly a bike to go to the pub on!)

I only have a very basic knowledge on bikes (I'm usually into my cars!) so I apologise if this is a stupid question

Thanks, Oli 1713987983813.png 1713988023138.png

Welcome to retrobike - wish it had been in better circumstances!

It really needs brazing or welding, the rear wheel twisting out of position (or worse) is the last thing you'd want when you were giving it a bit of beer fuelled gas on the way home! Doesn't have to be a pretty job if it's a beater but glue in that position / available surface area is a recipe for regret!

I'm sure people have ridden bikes in worse condition in desperation or ignorance but I wouldn't for a second.

Thank you all - I think that settles that :LOL:

I don't know any welders unfortunately but will ask around on local facebook pages. If not - is scrap the best option? I doubt there are many parts on it worth saving

Thanks again

Thank you all - I think that settles that :LOL:

I don't know any welders unfortunately but will ask around on local facebook pages. If not - is scrap the best option? I doubt there are many parts on it worth saving

Thanks again

Could do worse than pop it back on FB or even eBay, and offer free/very cheap as "would suit a welder".

Personally, I would pop into a local garage and see if they know a welder who might do it. Chances are, you'd get it done for under 20 quid.

Latest posts

Back