Great big Singlespeed thread!

Beautiful! Here's mine -- almost the opposite end of the spectrum: a budget build with mainly parts-bin bits to get it functional.

Attachments

• 20210227-IMG_4827.jpg
    20210227-IMG_4827.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 313
Re:

This is my urban bike, on a Troger Crazee Edelweiss frame (columbus thron tubes). Conformal but also fast when needed.

Attachments

• mybike.JPG
    mybike.JPG
    709 KB · Views: 164
I've hopefully got a frame lined up to build into a singlespeed soon, to be used as a winter commuter and for some light off road riding. I was wondering a couple of things, what chainsets are people using? Modern 1x, middle ring from a old 3 ring crankset, general ss? Also, is there going to be a sweet spot for a ratio that works for commuting and off road?

@chickenbones : Well, the choice of chainset/hubs/cranks and bb is much up to you and the frame. You defo need to dial in the chainline if you use non singlespeed specific parts.

As for gearing: 63 Gear Inches are usually a good idea, but pending on how hilly the area is you live in and of course your overall fitness, a higher or lower gearing would be better. For soley off-road use with climbing a ratio of 2:1 or even lower is prefered by many as a rule of thumb but it all comes down to personal preferences and experience...

What kind of frame you are planning to use?

It's a 96 karakoram, planning on using rigid forks. I commute on a fixed gear at the moment, but it's a road bike with track ends so much simpler that with a MTB! Not yet decided whether I'll be going ebb or just run a square tapered BB and tensioner, or even getting a frame builder to change the drop outs. Either of the first two would obviously narrow my options. I'm in York, it's pretty flat.

I would go with a square tapered BB and a good tensioner or a new set of dropouts. You have not a lot of options when it comes to EBB with a classic bb shell, which ultimately limit your choice of cranks...

Hello singlespeed gurus -- looking for advice on the alignment of my drivetrain. I've been quite happy with the bike but was giving it a lube today and saw that the rear wheel, while running straight, is positioned too far to the left (see pics).

Does this affect the ride -- or should it be properly centred? The only way I can see that happening is if the wheel is re-dished -- is that right? (Apologies for the dirty state of the bike btw!)

Attachments

• IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5224.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 18
I would go with a square tapered BB and a good tensioner or a new set of dropouts. You have not a lot of options when it comes to EBB with a classic bb shell, which ultimately limit your choice of cranks...
Yeah, I was leaning towards one of those options, given the price of a EBB, and how much of a limiting factor it would be.

Back