Gazelle Air Glider Touché commuter bike project/gallery

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hello Retro community - it's been a very long time since i interacted with this lovely forum, and i thought where better than here to discuss a rather unique bike i have.

A little backstory on this one: I came across this beast in a bulk buy of 'spares/repair' bikes on the Facebook Marketplace. the thing that caught my eye was the fact that (hidden in the images on the listing) it seemed to have a front AND rear shock system.
I was in the midst of a proper splurge of picking up loads of bikes at the time, so got the 7 seater cleared out and went to pick it up.

I'd not come across many Gazelle bikes, but a trip earlier in the year to Belgium i found myself drawn to the Dutch style bikes, and being in Belgium on holiday, i totally caught the bug as i enjoyed the flat land and well designed cycle infrastructure - so this fueled my decision to take the bike home.

Fast forward a year and the bike is now on the road. The bike is quite unique for sure and is a very comfortable ride - but boy is it a labour of love getting this bike back to full fettle!

With little to no information on the bike model itself (i don't even know the age), i had to feel my way through this one - hence the year its taken (ive very limited fettling time these days). This bike is designed to be commuted on - full length gear cables, full chain guard (which is a pain in the arse to remove), horizontal dropouts and tensioners, pressfit bottom bracket (which is a pain in the arse to install - and thats if you can find a new one to fit), Nexus Gear hub - which i think is a cracking piece of equipment and SO easy to service and index (the easiest part to service on this bike by a country mile - lol ).

I did challenge myself though and promised to take this bike COMPLETELY apart. which i have done - despite never handling gear hubs or roller brakes before. it was a great learning experience and im glad i did it.

So, enjoy the pics - they arent in the best order nor taken in the best way, but there's plenty to look at.

full work list after the google gallery link:
Gazelle Air Glide Touché

Work done:

- Full strip down of all parts except front forks which didn't look friendly/serviceable and were pretty plush and clean anyway.
- front and rear roller brake disassembly, cleaned and regreased
- rear shock and linkage disassembly. cleaned, lubed and shock spring reconditioned
- Nexus 7 speed gear hub disassembly (not completely though!) and oil bath
- chain removed, cleaned and oiled
- KMC quick chain link inserted
- new inner/outer full length gear and brake cables
- bottom bracket removed and replaced.

Problems along the way:
- Cosmetically its not easy to replace parts on these bikes - i had to throw away the dyno lights - rotten and rusted through to the PCBs and couldnt find replacements (Modern lights are better anyway)
- Mudguard trim was plastic and brittle with age so some of that got removed.
- Mudguards were dented in places and paint bubbling peeled off, so i could only really paint in patches with hammerite (black)...i couldn't face spray painting them all.
- I tried reconditioning the existing BB by removing the bearing seals and regreasing, but they were beyond salvation. i also broke one of the plastic chain guard mounting brackets too which was really annoying - it's part of the BB press fit shell too - so it took a long while sourcing a new one as i couldn't find an exact replacement and there is bugger all info on dimensions that really gave me any confidence - the holland bike shop website i think is run by autobots as i emailed a few times to no avail, but it took my order and delivered promptly.... £45 for a new bottom bracket that isn't even a match....but it fitted and i only had to change screw types for the chainguard mounting - not ideal, but i was careful with what i did.

I probably could have replaced the tyres for new ones, but these seem fine and unless i sell it soon (which i have been trying to for over a month now) i may just take the time to do that. the rear wheel is a pain in the arse to remove though.....takes too long for my liking!

I've taken it out for a couple of rides recently and i must say, its a very pleasant ride. super smooth and i really like gear hubs now. The ride geometry is a bit weird, but is very customisable.

Along this journey i also picked up a cruiser bike bug, and found one for free with a 4speed Nexus gear hub which is probably my favourite leisure bike now (i'm 40 this year, so i like more chilled rides!).

I've probably waffled on far too long about this, so thanks if you've made it this far and at the very least i hope you've enjoyed the pictures.....

i can now at least focus on my next long term project....

IMG_20230215_192019.jpg

Great job. I don't think this is the typical Dutch bike, but I am sure they are comfortable. For changing the rear tyre there are tools to pry open the rear stays, so you don't have to remove the wheel.

1695397147533.png

Latest posts

Back