Fixing a Victorian

Are we saddled up Gentleman? šŸ§

Right, one thing bugging me.......can someone explain to me how pressed recesses make things lighter and stronger?

I'm trying so hard to find the answer at the bottom of my glass (which I 'm convinced there is hole in) but scooping material out is surely what it is?

Answers on a postcard please.
Your thinking too much, the manufacturer wantā€™s you to read the BS hype, believe the bogus claim and be happy with the illusion.

I got a new toy today. Expando Gizmo, made by Acme, ā€œa brand you can trustā€ just ask Willie Coyote. It could be used to dimple chain stays so your old road bike would accept wider tires, or for straightening bent chain or seat stays. I wish I had it when I straightened the Vicky chain stay, I might not have had to build that horrible jig. Then again, it might be useless. Too bad they donā€™t make them in a half meter size. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Your thinking too much, the manufacturer wantā€™s you to read the BS hype, believe the bogus claim and be happy with the illusion.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Of all the replies I expected, that was the absolutely least I expected. I got suitably braced for something like Star Trek from 100 years ago.

I've been accused of thinking too much before....

God bless our Victorian pre-cursers in defining the bullshit art to sell something. That IQ blurb may also be proven with this!

Right, one thing bugging me.......can someone explain to me how pressed recesses make things lighter and stronger?

I'm trying so hard to find the answer at the bottom of my glass (which I 'm convinced there is hole in) but scooping material out is surely what it is?

Im kinda in the saddle!
Firstly...lighter...that's easy...drill a hole in something... now there's less of the stuff that you drilled the hole in!
Stronger!....well anytime you bend crush or stretch a bit of steel it'll work harden IE get harder....it's like when a frames bent you need more force to bend it back to where it was than the force that bent it in the first place! Kinda like forging in a way...
What it'll also do is where it's really uniform ....as in the spacing of the dimples it'll create oh I dunno say like an even web of extra strength like a layer if that makes sense ...like how a flute or a taper can add strength even accounting for when material has been removed. Something like that šŸ˜ ....
Can I gave another glass of wine please...thirsty now!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Of all the replies I expected, that was the absolutely least I expected. I got suitably braced for something like Star Trek from 100 years ago.

I've been accused of thinking too much before....

God bless our Victorian pre-cursers in defining the bullshit art to sell something. That IQ blurb may also be proven with this!
Well actually your right....you know all that steam punk guff...fancy pancy complicated stuff that kinda does stuff but you can't really explain how?

Wel that's how it works šŸ˜‚

Hang on, hang on, hang ON! I've drank some more....

Let's rewind. It's a top notch engineered bike right? Sold at a premium? Not for a common man; a plonker just wanting a bike.

In my half arsed research about that company contracted to do the tooling for Hamilton, they did lathes and milling machines.

So, be the devils advocate, is there any evidence to prove or disprove they are pressed recesses or machined out circular sections?

I am an engineer you know. But in a totally different field, which I never made any bread and butter out off. I'm still curious.

Is there like any swarf or shit, signs of cutting. I appreciate it might be on a micro-scopic level requiring a drink to focus.

Hang on, hang on, hang ON! I've drank some more....

Let's rewind. It's a top notch engineered bike right? Sold at a premium? Not for a common man; a plonker just wanting a bike.

In my half arsed research about that company contracted to do the tooling for Hamilton, they did lathes and milling machines.

So, be the devils advocate, is there any evidence to prove or disprove they are pressed recesses or machined out circular sections?

I am an engineer you know. But in a totally different field, which I never made any bread and butter out off. I'm still curious.

Is there like any swarf or shit, signs of cutting. I appreciate it might be on a micro-scopic level requiring a drink to focus.
I might of jumped the gun in my ass..umptions!
I think Mr nabeaquam will have to pass technical observations on that!
My dollar still on pressed šŸ˜
If your an engineer in any field your qualified more than me šŸ˜†

Some quotes picked up throughout industrial life

"There is no process for common sense"
"Assumption is the mother of all f\/ck ups"y

Needless to say, it may be academic of how, who, what is built when you trundle off riding it. It's weird, I've got so attached to this bike and it's been an eye opener to the engineering and business excellence present in the USA. As a very strong - unashamed Europhile as I am - I can't help but fit the missing links in wider aspects of geopolitcs, space race, ethics looking at this machine. Perhaps I'm pissed (drunk) and need to get out more, but the fact is I think at this time there are things happening over the pond which are mind blowing, and also they mastered something that in Europe never got registered or handled properly - industrialisation and create appetite. How many Singar machines are in Europe?

I might of jumped the gun in my ass..umptions!
I think Mr nabeaquam will have to pass technical observations on that!
My dollar still on pressed
If your an engineer in any field your qualified more than me šŸ˜†
I know nothing about engineering your speaking Sanskrit or Babylonian Cuneiform, machined out, pressed? All Iā€˜ve ever done is pump gas, auto maintenance in the 60s, hook up trailers, wash dishes, janitor, Army (expert marcher, poor hand grenade thrower, pretty good rifle marksman), food inspector, long shore-man, bar tender, tax collector, real estate appraisal, professional Cartographer, city planner, grant administrator, oncology nurse, teacher and currently the best job I ever had, retired. Why so many carriers you may ask. Computers made all these jobs obsolete or for people so stupid they canā€™t make changes because they donā€™t have to, the computer does it all. I kept changing careers because my jobs became obsolete. I quit teaching and retired when all the course work went on computers and offered far inferior programmed learning. All I can say is if you think education is expensive then wait until you have to pay for stupidity. By the way, Nabeaquam means man in a boat in the Anishinaabe language. No word in the original native tongue for bicycle so man in a boat is close enough.

Last edited:

I think it's an equivalent to butting - keep it thick at the ends but lighten the middle with the pressed recesses.

(and like you I share the disability of an engineering degree)

Back