Fixing a Victorian

At one moment I thought I broke the internet and USA National Archives. Just for the sake of a tatty old bike :eek:

But, bingo. Could well be the special machine for the dove-tail in the sheet steel. I'm going cross eyed, and somebody may
be able to dig into patents for more details of said machine for the complete answer.

1655645372259.png

At one moment I thought I broke the internet and USA National Archives. Just for the sake of a tatty old bike :eek:

But, bingo. Could well be the special machine for the dove-tail in the sheet steel. I'm going cross eyed, and somebody may
be able to dig into patents for more details of said machine for the complete answer.

View attachment 636733
X rays !! My god remember as kid getting your first x-ray it seemed like science fiction!
I think woz you haven't found a rabbit hole but a complete warren...

Those archives need a public warning. Every so often I would get side tracked and read some truly whacked out stuff.

They aren't completely about the cycle industry, but the early ones are predominantly about bicycles, industry news and racing news, then later into motor bikes, cars, and even aviation starts to slip in. I even saw an advert for Roller Skates !!!

Those archives need a public warning. Every so often I would get side tracked and read some truly whacked out stuff.

They aren't completely about the cycle industry, but the early ones are predominantly about bicycles, industry news and racing news, then later into motor bikes, cars, and even aviation starts to slip in. I even saw an advert for Roller Skates !!!
I so wish I had pooter! Faffing around on a small moby screen is a pain, really would like to get a copy of this trade book...bet it's a thing of beauty!

X rays !! My god remember as kid getting your first x-ray it seemed like science fiction!
I think woz you haven't found a rabbit hole but a complete warren...
I’m so ancient that when I was in grade school the big thrill was walking to the shoe store after school to put our feet in the cast iron penny scale like gizmo on the sidewalk in front of the store to look in a Bakelite goggle like thing so we could see our toes and bones inside our shoes. Wiggling the piggies was a minor thrill.

• Love
Reactions: Woz
Many hands make light work!
I'm pretty useless at internet trickery much rather help out bending things back into shape in your yard 😂 I have a feeling woz is going to be AWOL for a while reading through thousands of pages of Victorian cycle awesomeness!
Yes, apply neutonmeters
Many hands make light work!
I'm pretty useless at internet trickery much rather help out bending things back into shape in your yard 😂 I have a feeling woz is going to be AWOL for a while reading through thousands of pages of Victorian cycle awesomeness!
I could use the extra muscle. I already have the theories and brains to do it but I’m getting wimpy in my old age. Example, apply Newton-meters until it strips, then back off a tad, then it’s close to perfect, good enough. I‘m having a harder and harder time strip tightening. I could use a hand with bigger hammers, if it’s not broke, get a bigger hammer. I can’t swing a big hammer hard enough anymore. “If it isn’t broke, fix it until it is“ doesn’t apply here as it was broke before I started. Hopefully it will be less broke when I’m done. Mark Twain wrote about bicycles but he obviously never repaired one. He once said “too much of anything is bad, except whiskey, which is just enough”. See where I’m heading, you need a lot of too much, which is just right, to fix a wrecked bicycle. Hard work for an old guy.

I find with age comes experience ...I used to hammer everything,now that technique just makes my hands hurt! Brains before Braun!
I remember on the old VW vans I used to drive the rear hubnut was torqued to something over 300ftlb! Right buggers ...standing and bouncing on big bars the lot! My old man showed me a trick...soft belly over a 4 foot bar clump hammer the socket for impact...presto never got in a sweat doing them again!

I find with age comes experience ...I used to hammer everything,now that technique just makes my hands hurt! Brains before Braun!
I remember on the old VW vans I used to drive the rear hubnut was torqued to something over 300ftlb! Right buggers ...standing and bouncing on big bars the lot! My old man showed me a trick...soft belly over a 4 foot bar clump hammer the socket for impact...presto never got in a sweat doing them again!
I’m a fan of leverage. I also like pulleys and come-a-longs, big ones. Last year I took down four 8 inch diameter trees in our yard. I used a recpticating saw and a long, well four altogether, pruning blade. I cut, in the dirt, around the base of the tree, climbed up, put logging chains around the tree way up and used my ATV and the 5 ton come-along to pull the tree over and out, stump and all. A lot of root sawing was involved as the deeper roots became exposed. I learned to climb the tree first and attach the logging chains before cutting around the base. The third tree was smaller, it suddenly leaned and twisted, dumping me in my neighbors yard. They came running out, they didn’t see it but heard the thump. The last tree had the chains attached first. Ha. Now all the neighbors are using my method to bring down smaller trees. Actually it’s my fathers method but he used a block and tackle.

Just loving a thread like this. Evolving. Questioning. Think I will eventually reply to Tsundare Darwin / IQ post which puts some interesting angles on things, I'm into one week being cooked up indoors due to an hideous heat wave so have applied "everything with moderation including moderation" for some days now and subsequently can contribute with my usual drivel semi intelligent blurb.

Years ago when I was a student, a Professor said "It's only engineers and artists that change the world". I thought this was a profound statement back then, and still think it profound now. With maturity though, I will add philosophers to the list. Politicians still don't make the grade for me.

Just loving a thread like this. Evolving. Questioning. Think I will eventually reply to Tsundare Darwin / IQ post which puts some interesting angles on things, I'm into one week being cooked up indoors due to an hideous heat wave so have applied "everything with moderation including moderation" for some days now and subsequently can contribute with my usual drivel semi intelligent blurb.

Years ago when I was a student, a Professor said "It's only engineers and artists that change the world". I thought this was a profound statement back then, and still think it profound now. With maturity though, I will add philosophers to the list. Politicians still don't make the grade for me.

It’s been cold here, very unseasonable and very windy from the north almost all the time. Many mornings when I get up it’s 4C. Today it was 9C. It’s also been raining a lot. The trees are not fully leafed out yet, which I’ve never seen this late. The north wind, 60 kmh gusts two days ago all day, has pushed Arctic air from Hudson’s Bay down. I was cooped up for that one day, almost went nuts, ran out of beer and Jamison’s. I’d have to drink a lot to stay cooped up for a week, that sounds bad, I can at least put on one of my jackets. Three hours south their cooking. My short sleeved shirts are still in our storage unit. Wow, I hate hot. Fifteen C is perfect, you can work or ride a bicycle without sweating. A young riding buddy of mine is from the UK. He is an engineer at a local mine that is UK owned. He loves our summers as 18 to 21C is typical daytime summer temps. He can ride without heat stress.

Last edited:
Back