Clunker Schwinn DX 1941 FINISHED page 8

Re: Schwinn DX '40 Clunker Gary replica [wheelset pag 3]

So finally I had the frame blasted, as you can see there are some different types of filling used.
Some brazing on the chainstays, some metal putty on other plces to simulate brazing and on the headtube the files the weldins I suppose?

p4pb11580576.jpg

p4pb11580581.jpg

p4pb11580579.jpg

p4pb11580580.jpg

The frame is in a little worse condition than I thought, not rusted through so still a good basis, but it needs some work.

p4pb11580578.jpg

First thing I did was coating it with epoxy primer, so the rust doesn't get a chance.
Next is coating the inside and then I have to decide if I do the painting myslef or go to a proffesional.

Little progress but we are getting there, when the painting is done it's just building up, all parts are there :cool:

Re: Schwinn DX '40 Clunker [sand blasted frame pag 5]

I need some help from you guys.
I'm still making up my mind about how to mount the brakes;
- braze on bosses
- make Moots style mounts
- make/search Schwinn canti mounts

I still want it to be an authentic build, so don't want to do something they didn't back in the day.
I asked Alan for advice, he told my they sometimes used the Schwinn canti mounts, but they are impossible to find.
So maybe make them myself? It keeps the frame original in case I ever do want to convert to drums.
Did they braze them on in the days? I asked Alan that too, but he doesn't respond anymore.
How about making some Moots mounts? It could be a challange with the blade forks, but it might be possible.

Hope you can help!

Re: Schwinn DX '40 Clunker [sand blasted frame pag 5]

Jamis Diablo":1rr1ky7w said:
I need some help from you guys.
I'm still making up my mind about how to mount the brakes;
- braze on bosses
- make Moots style mounts
- make/search Schwinn canti mounts

I still want it to be an authentic build, so don't want to do something they didn't back in the day.
I asked Alan for advice, he told my they sometimes used the Schwinn canti mounts, but they are impossible to find.
So maybe make them myself? It keeps the frame original in case I ever do want to convert to drums.
Did they braze them on in the days? I asked Alan that too, but he doesn't respond anymore.
How about making some Moots mounts? It could be a challange with the blade forks, but it might be possible.

Hope you can help!
They would have used Schwinn canti's in front - when using a Schwinn fork (like you are) - or mafac canti's if using a BMX fork.

They didn't run canti's in the back. They ran either coaster brakes or drum brakes.

If you want it to look like a period correct clunker, those are your options.

Re: Schwinn DX '40 Clunker [need help page 5]

Some did have canti's in the back, this is Alans bike in '79:

green_1979.jpg

But it looks like a post war frame with original canti bosses.
So the question is, would they have adapted pre war frames to canti's?
I kind of like the BMX forks, but to find an period correct one with canti bosses is pretty hard to find.

Jamis Diablo":19zhal4e said:

green_1979.jpg

I kind of like the BMX forks, but to find an period correct one with canti bosses is pretty hard to find.

Koski is making forks again.

And I like the look of drums. This is my '39.

https://scontent-1.11404.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5554FE4D

Re:

What Drums are they IRMB?,ive aquired a 59 cantilever frame,wanting to go with drums but maybe also a derailier set up,ill send pics shortly

Re: Re:

TZEDS":3s3k7m4a said:
What Drums are they IRMB?,ive aquired a 59 cantilever frame,wanting to go with drums but maybe also a derailier set up,ill send pics shortly
I'm using sturmey archer XLFD in the front - and a shimano nexus 8 speed in the rear, with roller brake.

Re:

Heres the frame,soon to be built up,my first Klunker build so think its going to be no restoration job,more,somthing i can ride...watch this space

Attachments

• 003 (Small).JPG
    003 (Small).JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,533

Jamis Diablo":5nwplshs said:

green_1979.jpg

So I went back and looked at all the bikes on Alan's site as well as Charlie kelly's site - and the only clunker that I've seen with canti's in back is Alan's personal bike.

All the rest (that I've seen) either use coasters or drums.

yes, there are bikes on Alans site with canti's in back - but those are all modern interpretations of clunkers. If you look at joe's, gary's, otis' bike,etc - none had canti's in back.

Back