Clunker Schwinn DX 1941 FINISHED page 8

Re: Schwinn DX '40 Clunker Gary replica [wheelset pag 3]

34henry3w":2hhh65zt said:
Nice parts man!!

I assume paint is coming soon?

I first have to sand blast the frame, my brother in law has a cabine for this, so will do this after the holidays

I learned the hard way that you have to do the following. Maybe you know all this but I sure didn't!

all info s welome mate :D

(Aside of course from cold setting the stays wider)

my wheelset has a 126mm hub, I could put the wheel in with a little effort, I just pulled the stays a litlle.
Is that ok or do I really have to set them?

-Reinforce the internal seattube so the butting extends lower. Otherwise a long post will snap the frame..

how can I do that?

-Face the headtube and bb.. they are always off..you can do this after paint but it might pull the paint off.
-check the frame alignment.. Can be "persuaded back square..

what do you mean by that?

-drill out the seatpost collar qr hole a bit as it is too small diameter for a campy qr

Good luck with it! Our bikes are sort of peas in a pod! :cool:

I can't picture rim decals on 7X's? Red/White/Blue Araya?

I like the paint the way it is, It looks great, but again, thats the joy of a klunker, do what makes you smile.

Even though your hub is only 126mm I would still advise cold setting the frame. Having extra pressure on the hub at a bad angle can screw up the bearings and make them wear out quicker. You shouldn't need to mess with the seat tube if you are not over 6 feet tall and your post extends far enough into the frame. Having the bottom bracket shell and the headtube faced requires a special tool that just reams off a bit of metal to make sure the outer surface is even. This will make your headset and bottom bracket seat properly and evenly into the frame. This is important to make sure the headset bearings and bb bearings do not wear due to uneven pressure but to be honest most people don't bother.

Since you are running TA cranks make sure your bottom bracket is installed perfectly BEFORE you put the cranks on tight. They require a special tool because the threads are a different size. I was unable to remove mine to tighten my bottom bracket.

Hey man, my 2c..

Agreed with Sandmangts you should cold set them and bend the dropouts back parrallel...also be sure they are square or when you ride the bike you will have to constantly turn either left or right to keep it going straight! Most old bike stores have the tool to do this.

internally reinforcing the seattube is up to you. It is only seatpost width for a few inches, and then gets wider...so the torque of a long seatpost doesnt get spread out much... I just epoxied in a split shim..If you arent tall and weigh under 160 lbs it probably isnt needed. I nickel plated mine so the consequence of a crack was too great...since you are painting worst case you will have to weld and touch up..I would have to replate the entire frame..

The bike store can face the bottom bracket and headtube. Most dont do it but if yours is really bad you wont even be able to turn the bar 90 degrees before it binds, and if you are using an aluminum cup pressed in bottom bracket, it really should be faced..again any old bike store can do this for a few bucks!..just assemble everything first and if you are happy with the smoothness dont bother!

oh ya you probably are aware that the TA crank needs a special extractor...I got one on ebay!

I finally got/took the time to begin stripping the frame.
First with some rust remover and then with paint remover.
The paint is pretty tough, the frame underneath is in very good shape.
Unfortunately the rust has left a lot of small pits which I can't remove with sanding.
They are very superficial, but will show when painted.
So I guess I have to use some filler...

p4pb10498265.jpg

p4pb10498266.jpg

What a great project! Can't wait till it's ready!

Enjoyed reading that, subscribing for updates :)

Back