For Sale SOLD 1949 Harry Rensch Paris Tour De France 53cm Vintage Racer

jahknob

Devout Dirtbag
NOW SOLD. 1949 Harry Rensch Paris Tour De France bicycle in excellent condition. Asking £750 as the bike is in really superb condition - but please feel free to make a reasonable offer, as the bike is not improving just sitting around..!!!

Frame measurements:

Seat Tube 53cm

Top Tube 55cm

Head Tube 12cm

Chainstays 42cm

Angles 74 degrees parallel

Frame and forks are in excellent condition apart from three or four paint chips which I have tried to show in the photographs. Some of the componentry has developed an oxidised finish (rims, brake levers etc), but everything works well and suspect a good polish with the right kit would bring everything back to pristine.

The 3-arm chainset is apparently a Durax Special Course with a single 46t chainring. On the back wheel there is a 4s Cyclo 13-17 freewheel, Benelux rear derailleur and this is operated by a Cyclo friction lever (single). The chain is a modern SRAM (not sure of speed/width).

Wheels are 36h clinchers (Constrictor ASP according to notes with the bike) with Airlite wide-flange hubs with Reynolds wing nuts, shod with Specialized cotton tyres (plus tubes).

Saddle is a black Brooks B17. The brake levers and callipers are GB “Superhood”. The handlebars, stem, seat post and pedals have no obvious markings, but appear to be of a similar vintage to the rest of the bike. Stem is 130mm and level and the bars are 38cm ctr-ctr and I would class as semi-track curve - apparently these are Reynolds Stratalite - seatpost is also Reynolds too, I'm informed.

Any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Many pictures (updated 06/01/23) can be found here, including a page of build notes (and there is also a file with info about Harry Rensch and his bikes that the owner put together):

Here is some updated information courtesy of someone from VCC who is familiar with this bike:

Paintwork isn't original, but is correct (decals, no chrome), the respray has obscured any serial number on BB shell (haven't checked steerer tube yet), and a more modern blue Shimano cable guide has been glued in place under the BB shell. Forks are lovely, bike has "curtain ring" braze-ons F&R as it should, rear brake bridge shows that this may be a frame finished after Harry left the business.
It is a 1949 Rensch TdF which has the same bi-lam design at the head tube as the Galibier, was probably initially built as a single-speed.
The Airlite wheels are period correct and the Constrictor ASP rims are pretty valuable in themselves, same for the Chater-Lea Pedals. Brake callipers are right, brake levers are post mid-1950s, seatpost, bars and stem undetermined (but listed in notes as Reynolds for first two), Saddle is also post mid-1950s. Chainset and derailleur are right period, but French rather than UK kit. My VCC expert says that any buyer of this bike won't be disappointed.

The bike is currently based in London, within a mile of where it was built. It was owned for years by a local boy who had had to give up part of his collection when he moved recently. I've been asked to sell it on his behalf. I can get the bike boxed up and sent within the UK for around £40 tracked and fully insured, and there is some scope for delivery depending on where you are based.

Attachments

• DSC06367.JPG
    DSC06367.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Lovely. There are one or two French aficionados who may be sniffing around this bike, but it's not at a charity shop price!
Oops! And we have a price!

Last edited:
Bike information updated. I've been told that price is very much top-end, but happy to consider reasonable offer(s).. Just want this to end up in a good home with a buyer who will give it some attention and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back