Clunker Schwinn DX 1941 FINISHED page 8

Re:

Alan's green bike is definitely a prewar Schwinn. He would have cut canti bosses off an old frame and brazed em on. He liked smaller brake levers and poked fun at people using the bike motorcycle brakes.

But agreed with all...period correct is tandem drums front and back. Unions that fit a 6 speed suntour freewheel are not hard to find. sometimes you can buy an entire 1950s Schwinn bike for $200 or less with one. Front Unions are very expensive..

A trick is to search for Schwinn town and country tandems (approx 1955) they have often have front and rear unions, and the entire bike can be bought for less than the value of the hubs..see pic. that front hub alone is worth over $400...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,478
Re: Schwinn DX '40 Clunker [need help page 5]

And shipping to Holland will be another $1000 :)
I found some NOS Dia Comp canti set with bosses, so they will be braced on soon (I hope) by a Dutch framebuilder.

Lots of people brazed on cantis in the rear. If you stick with the bladed Schwinn fork in the front. The clamp-on cantilever brakes that Schwinn made in the late 50s, is a good option.

Fat Tire Trader":1pf6y5b1 said:
Lots of people brazed on cantis in the rear. If you stick with the bladed Schwinn fork in the front. The clamp-on cantilever brakes that Schwinn made in the late 50s, is a good option.

Chris, specifically who brazed canti studs onto the rear? We're talking period correct here - per the OP. This means 1970's.

When we peruse Alans and Charlies sites - the only bike with canti's in the rear is Alans personal bike.

If you know of any others, please post links.

Great, thanks for the info guys!
I hope to get them brazed on soon.
I found some period correct Dia Compe ones, so ready to go.

Done it, a lot of hassle getting the bits together,but worth it,looks more speedway than Klunker,will be a bit of a rolling test bed for the pre war frames i have in line

Attachments

• 254 (Small).JPG
    254 (Small).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,162
Re:

Nice clunker projects, guys. When aluminum rims came out in '79 we all switched to them, as they were much lighter, but more importantly, the cantilever rim brakes we were also switching to worked way better when the rims got wet. Steel rims don't work well at all when wet and the aluminum ones were a major improvement-we have lots of long steep downhills around here in Marin...

Latest posts

Back