Claud Butler - Mystery model (1950s)

That looks fab :) loving the 70's close ratio freewheel, your dad didn't hang about :)
Thanks - He was very fit and bought the bike in his very early twenties. He was also ran cross country for his county so was used to a hard slog!

Research all the parts using Vellobase, then have a look see how much they all are on eBay (you may have to choose “sold” in the advanced search.
That will give you a reasonable value of the sum of its parts which will always be higher than the complete bike especially one that has upgraded parts like yours.

Couple of odd comments their Peter?
The frame stamp is absolutely in line with an August 1956 Claud Butler frame build. And I’d put money on it being a Tour of Britain having owned one.
And there’s no way on earth that Dolan would have made an exact replica Holdsworth fork. Even if he wanted to I doubt very much if Claud would have let him.
It’s true origins I would say are exactly as I’ve already explained. The frame was made by Claud the fork by Holdsworthy.

How or why they came together and why the odd graphics, I agree it’s unlikely will ever be known.
Hi Peachy/Peter - Was the colour scheme unusual - I did see an ebay Claud with a very similar look - see attached. It's the only CB picture that I can find that looks 'the same' ish, albeit that the way the frame joins together is more ornate on this than on my da'd bike and most of the running gear is modern.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 9
Research all the parts using Vellobase, then have a look see how much they all are on eBay (you may have to choose “sold” in the advanced search.
That will give you a reasonable value of the sum of its parts which will always be higher than the complete bike especially one that has upgraded parts like yours.
Okay thanks. I'll take a look . .

The Williams chainwheel should have a date code stamped on the back which if original may date when the bike was built up. The rear dropouts look like they could be Campagnolo, do they have any markings and a photo of the rear derailleur hanger may help.

Last edited:
The Williams chainwheel should have a date code stamped on the back which if original may date when the bike was built up. The rear dropouts look like they could be Campagnolo, do they have any markings and a photo of the rear derailleur hanger may help.
I'll get some close ups .. . .

Hi Peachy/Peter - Was the colour scheme unusual - I did see an ebay Claud with a very similar look - see attached. It's the only CB picture that I can find that looks 'the same' ish, albeit that the way the frame joins together is more ornate on this than on my da'd bike and most of the running gear is modern.
That’s a 1980’s Holdsworthy Claud, probably a Majestic, painted like a 60’s/early 70’s Claud with downtube repro graphics from the 30’s/40’s 🤣

Back