Brexit and shipping to EU

Placed an ebay order last night from a UK company to find this morning that it had been cancelled and my money refunded immediately. The reason given being that "all channels were now closed". Ebay have listed the sale as being cancelled by the buyer, (not true).
So far this year I've bought parts from Italy, Holland and France all of which have been delivered to Spain quickly.
Whilst I've stopped selling on here I've continued to buy on Retrobike having the parts delivered to my families UK address.
Does getting it delivered to your UK based family's address actually make any difference when you need it shipped to Spain? Do they then ship it to you listed as a present or?

Some of the parts are needed for rides in the UK whilst the rest are for builds here in Spain. Pre Covid and Brexit the family would bring the odd part over in their hold luggage. Also Mrs Shedobits and I would visit twice a year so there was never a problem, sometimes carrying frames or complete bikes with us.
We're just about to collect our post Brexit paperwork (don't ask) which will allow us to travel in and out of Spain so we plan to drive to the UK this autumn and I will be shure to pack some parts and tools to take with us returning with 2022's projects.
Sorry for not giving you a direct answer but promise to give an update when I have completed the trip.
After I sent this I checked my emails to find that another ebay order has been cancelled again saying that I had cancelled the order. It's looking as though I can only buy from any where but the UK.

Last edited:
Some of the parts are needed for rides in the UK whilst the rest are for builds here in Spain. Pre Covid and Brexit the family would bring the odd part over in their hold luggage. Also Mrs Shedobits and I would visit twice a year so there was never a problem, sometimes carrying frames or complete bikes with us.
We're just about to collect our post Brexit paperwork (don't ask) which will allow us to travel in and out of Spain so we plan to drive to the UK this autumn and I will be shure to pack some parts and tools to take with us returning with 2022's projects.
Sorry for not giving you a direct answer but promise to give an update when I have completed the trip.
After I sent this I checked my emails to find that another ebay order has been cancelled again saying that I had cancelled the order. It's looking as though I can only buy from any where but the UK.
No worries mate, was just wondering. Sounds like a plan about driving to the UK and bringing bits. Really crappy that people are experiencing ebay orders cancelled. Regardless of what opinion people have of Brexit, I think one thing is clear and that's the fact that when it comes to import and export nothing has worked out at all, its just a huge mess.

I ordered quite a bit of stuff through ebay, from the UK, but after hearing this I won't give it a go again. Shame.

August update. I used to sell around 8-10 records a month on discogs, so not much but a nice little side project.

Pre-Brexit, of those 8-10, around half went to Europe, maybe 1 to the US. All US orders have disappeared. That's down to the insane postage rates, not a consequence of Brexit. I haven't sold anything to mainland Europe since May. So I'm selling 4-5 domestically and that's it. Make of that what you will.

I will say my best mate who sells triple the amount is in a similar position. Fun times 😐

Last year, 30% of my Ebay sales from France went to the UK. This year......about 1%.......in part, it was not worth my admin time advertising to UK buyers for cheaper items. Taken a decision to buy locally if I can, and bought all I "needed" from the UK about 2 - 3 years ago.

My average delivery time to Spain was, with one previous exception since Brexit, 8 days. Last item though, left here on the 6th August and has only just passed out of Madrid Customs but I don't know yet if it's on its way to the final address or being sent back here! Any parcels from Madrid are being refused by UK Border, irrespective of contents or value, so we're giving up on it for now.

Apparently this was going to be good for the uk economy!

Just yesterday, my partner had a very serious discussion around moving the manufacturing arm of their multi- million pound business to europe, as importing materials /exporting goods into and from the uk is now an impossible, expensive, time consuming mess.

So thats 400 more jobs possibly lost in the uk.

Well, if you will let people vote on things they know bugger all about, this is what happens.

Pre Brexit there were several owners of large vans who traveled between Spain and the UK about once every 2 weeks (when their van was full). They charged a flat rate of 50e to the UK and 50GBP return for a door to door delivery service, all uninsured of coarse. This worked very well for many years but I see that all of their 'phones are now no longer in use.
Hands up now, who voted for this?

Hands up now, who voted for this?
I happy to say i did not! However, its a classic example of democracy at its worst.

Frankly, its a question that never should have been asked, as the average voter was bombarded by so much misinformation and misleading facts as to render decision making impossible.

Oh well, im just glad im not at the start of my working life or trying to buy my first house! My heart goes out to those guys who will really pay for our mistakes.

Latest posts

Back