Boulder Intrepid AL (Finished!)

Re: Boulder Intrepid AL (new project)(CRACKED FRAME NOOOOoooo..)

We're talking aluminum here folks, so I'm not sure its an easy fix. Well not as easy as steel anyways? And the re-paint. And shipping. Decals. Part of the appeal was obviously the original paint (well that and an intact frame). Though if I do end up 'stuck' with the frame I will look into the repair.

Thanks for your opinions, keep 'em coming!

I haven't heard back from the seller yet...

Re:

the yeti chickenball had repaired by dekerf was an aluminum one.
I have an email in to him now. will let you know what he says.

Re: Re:

Retro_Roy":tjoua4f4 said:
the yeti chickenball had repaired by dekerf was an aluminum one.
I have an email in to him now. will let you know what he says.

I tip my hat to you sir!

This is gonna take a while. The seller is out of town until Monday, wants to settle up on Monday, sigh...

patience is a learned skill!

Re:

I know its of little comfort but I'm glad it was spotted now ....ie sold with the crack

My previously crack free Manitou was so dam butter soft it bust the first time I rode, by then I was in so deep options are limited.

If we do buy / lust after Antique Aluminium frames I guess cracks go with the territory

still a right proper kick in the nuts, and one I've just started to come to terms with :?

Attachments

• was always gonna end in tears.jpg
    was always gonna end in tears.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 669
Re:

You should be able to replace or weld the head tube and have a competent painter blow in the paint. A full repaint is not required.

Regardless of whether the seller is reasonable if you bought it on eBay and paid PayPal this is an open and shut claim in your favour. I had a guy refuse to accept a return on a damaged Judy and PayPal refunded me the money and told me to keep the fork!

Yeah retro spud, I truly feel your pain! Although like you said at least it didn't happen after I finished a build. Makes me nervous to do anything with the frame to be honest. But Retro Roy has a good plan with Chris DeKerf, a local frame building legend, it sounds like a repair isn't out of the realm of possibility. I will contact him today and see what he has to say. I really want to keep the original paint job if at all possible, for the bike's history, and I like the colour!

Thanks 34henry3w for the encouragement, it sounds like I may come out all right on this deal after all! Fingers firmly crossed...

A better pic (worse?) of the cracks. Eesh, its not pretty! For the seller not to notice those 'fault lines' is a tad dubious...

Back