Alimo - Dutch Benotto sub-brand (70-80s)

Thanks for all your good work on this, @SuperSid !

This thread is going to be very useful for every future Alimo owner.👍
There seems to be quite a lot of Alimos about, especially in Holland but due to their bargain price, many seem to be in a state of decay used as commuters, but 250€ for one in good condition seems pretty common.

My brother was telling me about when he went to Dales cycles in Glasgow to buy a new bike, he wanted a Reynolds 531 framed bike like our dad but he told me the bike shop owner was gushing about how amazing the Alimo was for the price, that it is was lighter than the more expensive 531 framed bikes he sold and just as well equipped.

If anyone can find one, it's a good choice for a reasonably priced restoration project, suitable for Eroica events.
With a weight of 22 pounds or 10 kg (22.5" - 57cm frame) it was really quite light for 1980. Mid range Raleighs were 23-24 pounds I remember.
Ishiwata tubing that's the equivalent of Reynolds 531SL or Columbus SL + good quality Japanese parts by SR and Shimano make the bikes more Japanese made than Italian or Dutch.
The Benotto link adds some prestige, it's just a shame the finish was done on the cheap. I want to restore and enhance mine to make it look at least as nicely finished as Benotto branded versions.

I've almost finished the artwork for the sticker set, I'll get them printed up soon in thinner, more modern vinyl that can be clear coated, no more faded, semi peeled off stickers on the surface.

I just noticed on that blue cyclocross Alimo a few posts back, there's a 5th variant of the top tube sticker - Alimo E

AlimoE.jpg

For sale in Singapore: https://www.carousell.sg/p/alimo-italian-bike-1073349746/

This one appears to have Reynolds 531 stickers applied

The chrome "Imported by Alimo" sticker at the base of the seat tube is on quite a few Alimos posted in this thread, I could probably reproduce something close but I need someone to measure the width and height to get it right. There don't seem to be any Alimo owners here that I can ask.

alimo_italian_bike_1614983519_322c3227_progressive.jpg alimo_italian_bike_1615546846_f6b17d07_progressive.jpg alimo_italian_bike_1615546846_73f598ba_progressive.jpg

Here's another ALIMO L - completely different from the white one above, this looks like an early 70s frame design. Notice the Yellow Alimo logo on the fork.

$_59 (2).jpg

That last one is interesting. The braze-on for the lamp suggests a British frame, made for British roads. Or maybe someone just slapped a set of Alimo decals on something else?

That last one is interesting. The braze-on for the lamp suggests a British frame, made for British roads. Or maybe someone just slapped a set of Alimo decals on something else?
The frameset looks similar this Alimo E that I posted in post #3 https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/alimo-dutch-benotto-sub-brand-70-80s.428715/#post-3134052

Interesting point about the lamp holder on the wrong side of the bike for European roads, it doesn't make sense to sell a bike like that in Holland, but if they were cheap framesets, that was probably not a concern.

Alimo for sale in Morocco $300 + shipping

Alimo moe.jpg Looks like a later Japanese built frameset,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back