Alimo - Dutch Benotto sub-brand (70-80s)

I believe it can be saved, but for €75 I wouldn't bother. New paint and decals would be another €75. Not even counting all the work needed (cleaning, sanding, priming, painting) that makes at a €150++ proposition.

I'd wait for a better example.

Nicely finished and that is a great photo!
I think that you are the first Alimo (current) owner that has posted since I started this thread, it looks like yours is in good condition.
It's nice to see Alimos outside Europe, I wonder how many were sold in Asia.
thank you for that, as far as I know there is only one in Indonesia..don't know on the continent of Asia

I am in the UK now and have direct access to my Alimo.
I'm collecting parts to do a renovation and just had a look at what is on the bike already:

The only Shimano 600 part fitted is the crankset. I'm not sure what was fitted originally but there is a Suntour VX rear derailleur fitted now.
The Gear levers are original and are Shimano Altus LT, so is the front derailleur which is mostly constructed in pressed steel.
The brakes are Shimano Tourney with the clamping parts on the right side.
The headset is Tange Seiki and looks like chromed steel.
The original pedals were swapped recently for some Wellgo SPD clipless pedals but will replace the originals which I hope are SR.

So that's how Alimos ended up being so affordable

I will be stripping my Alimo down soon, I'm curious about the frame and fork weight to see if it might actually be Ishiwata 019.

The reproduction stickers should be ready soon, I've ordered 5 sets initially, I asked the printers to match the original colours as closely as possible.

I was looking at upgrading my groupset with some Shimano 600 or Dura Ace but I just checked and the brake blocks are mounted at the maximum reach of these Shimano Tourney brakes = 57 mm. Doesn't look any high end brakes will fit.

There is loads of clearance so I want to fit some 28mm tyres to fill in the gap.

1657491825055.png

I used to have my front brake connected to my right hand brake lever on the Alimo but for the last few decades, all my bikes have been the opposite so the left hand controls the front brake, I find this safer because my stronger right hand will lock up my rear tyre rather than sending me over the handlebars. I'm a bit concerned about how to arrange the non aero cable routing. Never seen a set up with these "wrong sided" brakes and left hand front braking,

Last edited:
Back