A couple of pieces I've made during the pandemic

dyna-ti":1hlz4ias said:
That scrap timber turn up yet ? :D

Sorry :oops: still havent finalized a shape yet :)

Not yet, but the post around here is slooooow...

I have some ideas, need to do some scribbles...

Had a little time to play recently.

First, more work on the one started on the previous page.

Since the last pics, I refined the shape, drilled some holes, and roughly ground in the bevels. Once I was happy that it was okay, I did three heat cycles (normalising) then heat treated and tempered it. Today, worked from a 36 grit belt through to 400. It's ready for Handles.

KGK20.jpg

I also had some time to work on something for my Dad. For a while I've wanted to make him a small knife made entirely from things he's used/found. My plan is for a small integral bolster belt knife. The final thing rarely looks like the initial sketches, but should end up *something* like this;
IMG_0185.jpg

He was a machine fitter so I inherited a lot of his old tools. I'll never have a use for 19mm Allen keys though...

This is what I got done today, about 2.5 hours work;
IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0181.jpg IMG_0180.jpg

An untouched 19mm Hex key for reference; For the other one, I straightened it, and roughly forged out the shape - no power tools used yet. I annealed it at this point too.
IMG_0177.jpg

The biggest struggle is to keep it all square and true.

And then a tickle with the belt grinder - all at 36 grit at the moment, so still very rough.

:)

Last edited:
Again very nice. I particularly like your makers mark. Whats the idea behind that ? is it you like dogs :LOL:

dyna-ti":1tdgqb8y said:
Again very nice. I particularly like your makers mark. Whats the idea behind that ? is it you like dogs :LOL:

:D

Yep, love Doggos*, but also the garage is my retreat when 'I'm in the Doghouse'.

As I've said before, I'm relatively new to this, so I've made the offer of a free knife to someone in return for some inspiration and they suggested something I haven't done before. Progress will be slow on that one as I'm trying a few new techniques out for it :facepalm:

*dogs, cats, fish, birds, reptiles - I'm an animal nut.

've made the offer of a free knife to someone in return for some inspiration and they suggested something I haven't done before. Progress will be slow on that one as I'm trying a few new techniques out for it

:oops:

The knife for my Dad is almost finished now after a few false starts. The left side of the blade needs more polishing and I haven't added the edge yet.

It's made from a 19mm hex key, Antler he found in the local forest, Oak from his garden and one of his old drill bits. The blade is 3.5" long and the overall is 8.5"
rsz_dsc_1522.jpg rsz_dsc_1519.jpg rsz_dsc_1520.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
:cool: excellent.

Im sure he will be well chuffed, and using those parts just makes it that bit more special.

Well, I've got one Happy Pappy; he liked the knife. I thought i'd better make something for my Mum too, so knocked this up;
Rose2.jpg Rose.jpg

It's set in the same block of oak that the knife handle came from, but I forgot to get a pic. 🤦

With christmas out of the way I've had a chance to work on something else. I think it'll be going back in the forge for a bit more work on the shape and it's a little thicker than I wanted. This has taken a while as I've been practising forge welding - this is a San Mai, three layers of steel heated and beaten into a single billet. the outer layers should help staining/patina as this is for use with food.

unnamed.jpg

Lots more to do yet, including heat treat, temper, handle, plus this one will be etched to show the different layers.

Last edited:
Back