79 Carlton professional

My first racer was a pro am 12 when I was 14, sold it at 18 for beer tokens, its nice to have a Carlton again.

Blimey, I remember when the original pro am was launched in 1978 at the Harrogate bike show (along with the Corsair).

It's Raleigh rival launched at the same time was the black and gold record sprint..... I would rather have had the Carlton :)

Shaun

Mine was pearl white, blue scroll decals with Sr custom cranks, suntour gears, not sure what year it seems hard to find information on Carltons.

Hoods arrived (rustines off eBay) so I polished up the levers and popped them on, gave the hoods a coat of sun tan lotion while I was at it, as I'd read that uv light is the enemy of natural rubber! I'll let you know if it's done any good in ten years time :?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 641
They certainly do :).

I've got a 1978 cycling mag with a nice pic of the current UK road champion on a Carlton Pro, a certain Robert Millar. And yes AFAIK its the same as yours, Carlton didn't allow their name on non Carlton-Raleigh frames.

I'll hunt it out and post it :).

Shaun

Re:

Sounds good shaun,be interesting to see what kit he's using, was he on the weinmann team?

Here we are...... 1970's Carlton Team Pro in Silver Lustre from Worksop ridden in anger, recognise the frame? Rider is in Glasgow Wheelers kit so it's his "own" bike.

2vv5aon.jpg

Shaun

That's great, looks like he's running nuovo record to me. Was up in Hope for a mtb ride yesterday a chap rode past on a blue Carlton, same decals as mine, didn't get chance to stop him.

Back