79 Carlton professional

Were these Sakae hubs any good? They seem pretty smooth to me, but that could just be down to my exceptional mechanical skills hahaha. :LOL:
The skewer nut came with a victory hub I think.

I was tinkering with my "WG9..." Numbered frame today, which I thought was a 1979 Carlton Pro looking for the original decals under the crappy blue paint and I came across 3 holes on the head tube and under the blue and silver (which I thought was the original Carlton silver lustre) there was gold paint.......

Looks like I have a gold Raleigh, going to put it in the scales tomorrow. Damn! Going to search for a Carlton again!

Shaun

Nearly there, cabled up and bars taped with 25mm cotton ribbon off eBay, it's thicker than the cycle specific stuff and easy to handle when wrapped wet. Cleaned up the chain that came with the bike and found a sedis oro hiding underneath the grime. Just need to order hoods and straps, and planning to polish and perhaps drill the brake levers. The wheels I've stolen from my SBDU with the addition of a 126mm axle and curved skewers from the wheels I picked up on eBay for £12.50!(gp4s on record hubs). Had a little ride round the block, feels a nice fit, looking forward to getting a few miles in. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 381
That sure us a fine looking bike, cracking position of the front mech, lots of people have them half an inch above the ring ! I see the second pic seems to have the brake cable around the right way :)

Are those bottles full?

Shaun

Re:

Blimey that looks good. I wish mine had come together so quickly.

Shaun, I took your advice on front mech position and mine shifts up and down with ease, which is more than can be said for the modern bike I was messing with yesterday. :facepalm:

Re:

Went tight as possible on the front mech I hear that was the done thing ;-). The bike came cabled that way and I thought I'd like to try something different and they do look better.
Unfortunately bottles are all empty, took a while. :D

Latest posts

Back