KOMRAID

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

Just finished my dream build... a 1994 Klein Attitude with Spinergy Rev X Roks wheels, period correct XTR group set and Topline cranks (ignore the tires and pedals, they are just temporary).

Picked it a couple of years ago (minus the wheels - I already had those kicking around the garage) with badly faded and chipped paintwork. Finally found the time to restore this beauty back to its former glory.

Stripped it back to bare metal for a full sunburst liner fade respray, including painted logos (the photos don't really do the pink justice). The colours look a little harsh under the studio lights but they are identical to the original paint scheme. Really happy with how it turned out!

Looks fantastic next to my 1995 Klein Quantum II.

Hope it's of intertest.

Cheers,

Jonny klein_attitude-02.jpg klein_attitude-14.jpg klein_attitude-30.jpg klein_attitude-43.jpg klein_attitude-53.jpg klein_attitude-55.jpg klein_attitude-57.jpg klein_attitude-65.jpg klein_attitude-68.jpg klein_attitude-69.jpg

:cool: Nice, would like to see it in natural light though. Who did the paint?

And the levers/shifters are post '96 for V-brakes ;)

Thanks for info about the brakes. They are the ones it came with, so assumed they were original items. I guess the previous owner upgraded them.

I painted it. I've done several over the past couple of years. Daylight photos of the frame before building it up are below.

Here's the Quantum II I did a couple of years ago in moonrise... https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/klein-1996-quantum-ii.392468/

View attachment 587729View attachment 587729View attachment 587730View attachment 587731View attachment 587732View attachment 587733View attachment 587734View attachment 587735

Thank you. A beautiful finish, i assume it was a similar process to the Quantum? quite a few hours of work i should imagine, well worth it though in my opinion, very nice! :cool:

Thank you. A beautiful finish, i assume it was a similar process to the Quantum? quite a few hours of work i should imagine, well worth it though in my opinion, very nice! :cool:
I've refined my technique since doing the Quantum. I've upgraded to an Iwata LPH80 spray gun and better compressor and have played around with different primers, paints and clear coats to get a much better finish straight out of the gun. I just need to find my next Klein project :)

Amazing paint work and bike! I've never ridden a Klein but would consider one similar to yours a grail addition to my collection. Yours ticks all the boxes for me. You'll definitely find the brakes will not operate the greatest mixing V levers with cantys (or vise versa) having different pull ratios. I paint my own frames too (when needed) and use the rattlecan approach with pretty good results but wow, you proper DIY paint work is outstanding!

Amazing paint work and bike! I've never ridden a Klein but would consider one similar to yours a grail addition to my collection. Yours ticks all the boxes for me. You'll definitely find the brakes will not operate the greatest mixing V levers with cantys (or vise versa) having different pull ratios. I paint my own frames too (when needed) and use the rattlecan approach with pretty good results but wow, you proper DIY paint work is outstanding!
Thank you! It's taken a lot practice to get to this end result.

The brakes feel ok, but I'm not intending to trash it so it's no drama if they are not 100%.

Such great paint work, well done Komraid. I'd love your advice, I have the same bike/paint and have some frame chips I would love to touch up. Any recommendations on what type of paint to use?

Such great paint work, well done Komraid. I'd love your advice, I have the same bike/paint and have some frame chips I would love to touch up. Any recommendations on what type of paint to use?
Thank you!

I mix my own paint using fluro pigment from https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/product-category/fluorescent-pigment-powder/ and clear basecoat or flake carrier. It's the only way to get an exact match for the original colours. Then protect it with 4-6 layers of a UV resistant clear coat. Neon colours will always fade over time when subjected to UV light but this helps preserve the fluro colours.

If your chips are on a neon fade Klein, they could be really tricky to touch up - colour matching within the fade is pretty match impossible to do without blending in over a large area. I tried to keep as much of the paintwork original on this frame but in the end, did a full respray for a better finish.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Cheers.

Back