1987 Fat Chance

All I'm missing from that list are the Magura Shorty's and the Araya/Sansin wheels, both I can live without for now although I will pick up if they ever come my way for the right price and in the right condition. XCII pedals are on the way, just hope they are salvageable 🤞 If not I have a pair of Low Fat's which should suit the bike well and keep everything nicely period.

Today I have felt the true spirit of this bike, with the correct tyres and grips I was able receive the signals the bike transmits as originally intended, in the correct language if you like, the tyres interfacing with the dirt and stones as the grips take those messages and pass the translated code directly to my hands, and what a difference it makes!
PA104272.JPG PA104276.JPG PA104277.JPG PA104278.JPG PA104279.JPG
PA104274.JPG

Absolutely love this bike, it feels like it was built for me, I really can't stress enough how well it fits and how comfortable it is, it has bags of personality and is so much fun, it loves going fast, handles and responds beautifully, it's a bike that fills me with confidence, offers encouragement and makes me a better rider, or at least it makes me feel like one. I guess it's all in the geometry, slightly taller than my other bikes (19.5 C-T - I always thought 18-19 was optimal for me) but shorter along the top tube and although not at all heavy it certainly isn't the lightest bike I've ever ridden, however it feels like it's not even there when it's really flying.

A definite keeper but only to be ridden on dry days, intend to preserve it so I can enjoy it for as long as I'm able to ride, every Fat Chance day will be a good day 😀

Last edited:
Big fan of the blue and yellow colour combo.
Looks awesome.
Kept the colour combo going with a lovely old bottle cage that was a perfect match for the blue, and this 80's yellow water bottle.

Also fitted the now renovated XCII's, had to replace all the bearings and I repainted the black outers as per Peachy's resto tips, sadly the sides were far too scuffed to allow me to bring out the lettering with white acrylic, I sanded them down as best I could but many of the scratches were deeper than the lettering.

dfhdfhg.jpg

Latest posts

Back