1987 Fat Chance

I like that a lot. Love GC's look to be in great shape

I like that a lot. Love GC's look to be in great shape
I was very lucky with the tyres, got them for a good price and they look barely used, no cracking and the rubber is very supple, seller said they'd been hanging in his cellar for more than 20 years. Pedals were a lucky bargain too, although they needed some work they look good and spin like new now, the battle scars they have if anything makes them suit the bike even more, anything looking too new might not blend so well, this bike is no garage queen, it's tidy, damage free and clean but it has a life history and that's part of its charm for me, I look forward to adding a few respectful chapters of my own over the coming years.

Attachments

• battlescars.JPG
    battlescars.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 15
Latest addition, original handlebars. I'd considered attempting to restore them, but after some feedback on here I decided to just leave them as they are. The anodising is a bit worn and faded but the stickers are in fairly decent shape and for me they definitely add to the bikes personality.

That just leaves the wheels and brake levers although I'm not actively hunting for those, if they ever come up then I'll see what the deal is, otherwise as far as I'm concerned the bike is absolutely great as it is. Going for a trek tomorrow and will take some more pics of the whole bike. PB200101.JPG PB200096.png

Wellcome to the Fat Chance club! That´s a very cool bike. It oozes personality. Everybody has a Yo eddy:cool:. Not everyone rides an early Fat Chance.
Cheers, Yo Eddy's are insanely cool bikes and I hope to get hold of one at some point, but I'd be amazed if they're as friendly to use as daily riders as this one is, probably because they are far more evolved and refined as racing machines, no doubt exceptional off the road, however the trade off might make them slightly less exceptional on it.

This bike feels much more like it's equally capable on or off road, I wouldn't want to take it down some of the more scary trails I used to love as a teenager, but on everything else it feels entirely at home, which is exactly what I've been seeking for a long time, even since before I finally decided to revisit classic rigid mtb's after a series of disappointing experiences with newer 'hybrids'.

This bike puts a smile on my face the moment I get on it, I know it's an inanimate object, but it doesn't feel like that when it's tearing down the riverside track on the way to work, it feels like it's enjoying the ride as much as I am.

Last edited:
It was a beautiful day for a bike ride, this is the first time i've been able to take it out for a proper ride since I replaced the handlebars, not going to pretend I could feel a great deal of difference, the bars it had were fine, but it was nice to look down and see the decals ;)

Unless a wheelset comes up in A1 condition for a reasonable price then this is about as close to catalogue spec as I'll get it, and that's fine with me.

Took these snaps and a few more with a view to perhaps selling it in the spring to make room for the next one coming through, but that idea went straight out the window on the ride home, I don't believe I'll find myself a better ride, it's that simple, and so we'll just have to find more space.

P1120400.JPG P1120396.JPG

Attachments

• P1120399.JPG
    P1120399.JPG
    731.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Been trying to find a better ride than a FAT for 30 odd years !. Always thought the grass ‘must be’ greener. They are that good and they all ride differently too. A Yo was designed as a no compromise permormance / race bike, stiffer more direct steering, the equivalent of a track focused race car. A Wicked is more of a fast GT. A FAT Ti dials it all up to the max for the best of both traits but it’s mostly about the ride.

Latest posts

Back