1987 Fat Chance

Never sell a bike that connects to you. Unless it´s financially urgent don´t make that mistake.
Been trying to find a better ride than a FAT for 30 odd years !. Always thought the grass ‘must be’ greener. They are that good and they all ride differently too. A Yo was designed as a no compromise permormance / race bike, stiffer more direct steering, the equivalent of a track focused race car. A Wicked is more of a fast GT. A FAT Ti dials it all up to the max for the best of both traits but it’s mostly about the ride.
I agree 100%, it's a keeper and we are looking now at getting another shed just for my bikes! No more 'one in one out' 😊 This one is going nowhere.

I look at these bikes as like the finest Renaissance art, even with today's modern tech we cant make things that really stir the soul like it.

Funnily enough, I was reading all your comments yesterday, and today slung my leg over a Fat for the very first time in all these years.

A friend's 1990/91 Wicked, that he just finished building up. Beautifully too, I might add. Just the right kind of eclectic, well-worn, natural build I'm drawn the most to.

And I have to say, I'm not sure anything has ever felt so natural, and, well, RIGHT, beneath me.

You could feel something in the metal. Some essence of what that bike is, and what a bike like this should be.

And I wanted to ride it very fast, very far, for a very long time!

So, yeah, consider me converted.

Added to the wishlist.

Funnily enough, I was reading all your comments yesterday, and today slung my leg over a Fat for the very first time in all these years.

A friend's 1990/91 Wicked, that he just finished building up. Beautifully too, I might add. Just the right kind of eclectic, well-worn, natural build I'm drawn the most to.

And I have to say, I'm not sure anything has ever felt so natural, and, well, RIGHT, beneath me.

You could feel something in the metal. Some essence of what that bike is, and what a bike like this should be.

And I wanted to ride it very fast, very far, for a very long time!

So, yeah, consider me converted.

Added to the wishlist.

Wish I knew what exactly makes them ride like that. It fascinates me tbh as I have ridden a few other makers bikes using the same main triangle Prestige tubing and geometry but they feel nothing like as nice as a FAT to ride. My 89 Team Comp is still the ultimate steel ride after all these years. Slightly softer than a Yo but sooooo smooth fast and all day rideable.

"Wish I knew what exactly makes them ride like that. It fascinates me tbh as I have ridden a few other makers bikes using the same main triangle Prestige tubing and geometry but they feel nothing like as nice as a FAT to ride. My 89 Team Comp is still the ultimate steel ride after all these years. Slightly softer than a Yo but sooooo smooth fast and all day rideable."

Tubing diameters (dictate stiffness and comfort) and geometry (affect handling, stability, quickness). There is no magic but talent + knowledge: intuition. Also, the level of quality/finish on Fat City was above most of other bikes i have seen.

Back