Yet another Roberts D.O.G.S... of a rebuild

Well today we went and got dirty.

I met up with my daughter at Ashton Plantation in Bristol. This is a nice sized wood that has several different surfaces and a couple of decent climbs, so it's a really good place for a shakedown run.

On the plus side, the 2 x 10 set up is a peach, really clean changes from the amazing X0 shifters and a great spread of gears. I spent most of my time on the outer ring, and only when you hit some steeper stuff do you suddenly remember you have ten more ratio's left in the box ;)

The DB is quite possibly the best bike I have ever ridden, it does everything you want, when you want it and without drama. Rather than a tentative first ride, it felt like I had been riding the bike for years.

On the downside, the black paint on the rear stays is way too hard and I have already picked up a couple of chips on the underneath. The top of the driveside stay has clear tape applied, it just a shame they did not tape the whole stay (as I have done on another of my bikes). Anyway, I'll let Chas know, and once the bike is dry I'll perform a Humbrol repair and then wrap the whole chainstay in inner tube.

BEFORE
DSCN0041_zps4d143519.jpg

DSCN0045_zpscb07f97f.jpg

AFTER
DSCN0066_zps4b5d3550.jpg

DSCN0064_zps9e433c0a.jpg

DSCN0063_zps9887989b.jpg

Was it worth the wait?

You bet your donkeesdoodahs it was.

Gio, you have GOT to get yours built, you'll love it.

That's yer lot then, another one hits the trail.

P.s. When I got home, I did another shakedown run on the second bike I've been building over the last couple of months. But that one has bigger wheels and very different shaped handlebars ;)

DSC_0225-1_zpscecc8628.jpg

Neil - the Dogs looks ace - very cool and I love the mix of old and new - great job. You should have brought it up to the FoD rather than poncing around Brizol ;)

The road bike looks nice too - a decent old road frame lends it's self very nicely to modern parts IMO - is that SRAM Rival that you have on there?

EDIT: looking at it again and given your build taste - did you consider removing the canti hanger on the basis that it could get added again if someone wanted it period correct at some point in the future?

I am absolutely made up for you mate, and thats music to my ears.

I was waiting for your ride review, and reading this installment today made the wait for me all worth while.

Great stuff bud. Keep up the good work.

:cool:

Thanks chaps, both comments are greatly appreciated, especially from the joint maestro's.

Adrian: I NEVER alter frames, it is an absolute no-no to me which started when I began customising motorbikes, sometimes based on original older frames.

In the case of the DB, it was easy to work around the canti hangar, especially as I chose to use the Direct Curve v-brakes.

As for the Concorde, it is SRAM Force, with Rival shifters as I got sick of being outbid by nuppence on Force levers.

Today's ride was a bit of a last minute thing when we found that me oss had lost a shoe. So instead of four legs, I chose two wheels.

Carl: I cannot say how at home I immediately felt on the DB. There is no shock from the back end, the Pace forks suit the front, it climbs, it brakes, it tracks perfectly and you only have to think about taking a certain line, and you're on it.

I fancy the rest of the stable are going to gather dust for a while, even my beloved Yates 853 (too modern for this bit of the forum).

No wonder the DB is considered to be the best (British) mtb, it really is something special.... but then you already know that ;)

Next trip will most likely be to the FoD, where I am meeting a man about something.... erm modern that you won't approve of :oops: ;)

NeilM":1d0y0yoj said:
Thanks chaps, both comments are greatly appreciated, especially from the joint maestro's.

Adrian: I NEVER alter frames, it is an absolute no-no to me which started when I began customising motorbikes, sometimes based on original older frames.

In the case of the DB, it was easy to work around the canti hangar, especially as I chose to use the Inner Curve v-brakes.

As for the Concorde, it is SRAM Force, with Rival shifters as I got sick of being outbid by nuppence on Force levers.

Today's ride was a bit of a last minute thing when we found that me oss had lost a shoe. So instead of four legs, I chose two wheels.

Carl: I cannot say how at home I immediately felt on the DB. There is no shock from the back end, the Pace forks suit the front, it climbs, it brakes, it tracks perfectly and you only have to think about taking a certain line, and you're on it.

I fancy the rest of the stable are going to gather dust for a while, even my beloved Yates 853 (too modern for this bit of the forum).

No wonder the DB is considered to be the best (British) mtb, it really is something special.... but then you already know that ;)

Next trip will most likely be to the FoD, where I am meeting a man about something.... erm modern that you won't approve of :oops: ;)

Im just really chuffed for you mate.

Light, Strong, Agile and Fast.

It all adds up to the Ultimate in steel for me.....!!!!

sinnerman":idz6nnbq said:
Light, Strong, Agile and Fast.

It all adds up to the Ultimate in steel for me.....!!!!

I couldn't put it better myself.

Oh and the colour really does not photograph too well.

The actual colour is much brighter :cool:

Great rebuild the Sram stuff looks good on it.

Regarding the chainstay paint; I took the Roberts supplied chainstay tape off of my frame straight away and applied thicker 3M Helicopter tape from Ebay on both sides and full length of the chainstays and seatstays. I have a habit of clipping my heels on the paintwork otherwise. The tape goes on well if you clean the stays with white spirit then heat up with a hair drier.

Mine is the yellow and red DB on the Roberts Flickr site.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm not too bothered about the paint, as the bike has been built to be ridden and paint can always be replaced. It's just a shame it happened so soon.

I'll go with the innertube wrap, as it also cuts out the annoying clatter of chain on stay.

I need to do the same to my White Spider, after a recent trip to the Haldon red route :shock: .

Which reminds me; I need to get back there with the DB, as it's a really nice trail.

You have got a lot to answer for young man!! because of this my old Dog is now being fitted with V brakes :twisted: :twisted:

daj":14338j3p said:
You have got a lot to answer for young man!! because of this my old Dog is now being fitted with V brakes :twisted: :twisted:

The new owner probably rides it faster than you did Dave :LOL: .... even with those 'handling' issues :roll:

Back