2008 Roberts Dogs Bolx

Yetichaser

Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Back in 2007 or so I had my Yeti Ultimate repaired by Chas Roberts after discovering some small patch of rust above the bottom bracket.

Chas was dismissive of the frame and suggested it was fit for the skip (as it was American) but agreed to carry out the repairs.

I’d always wanted a Roberts since I was a teenager back in the early 90s, but this was not white what i’d envisioned.

The quality of the work was impressive, as expected, and with fresh powder coated paint, I started to re-build the Yeti and re-discovered my love of early 90s bikes.

Following on from that, I felt needed to do it again, with a new frame, and address the niggling issue of over-looking Roberts bikes when I was a teenager.

So I went back to Roberts and ordered a Dogs Bolx thus realising a childhood dream.

The process was exciting and the wait was part of the fun and the decision for the paint was one that could have ended up being disastrous.

I had visions of triple colour fades but couldn’t trust myself. Fortunately in the showroom was a road bike with a stunning blue finish.
It was silver underneath with a blue lacquer and hints of red when viewed in direct sunlight.

I played safe and went with that as it was stunning.

For the build, i went a little blingy with the Chris King, the pink BB, headset and hubs really pop and contrast well (in my opinion) with the blue frame.
The pink was a limited edition colour and advertised as ‘pretty and strong’ as part of a breast cancer donation campaign.
Following my mums recovery from a masectomy in early 2008 this was a no brainer for me and a nice personal touch.

The rest of the build was a mix of Thomson, XTR shifters/mechs and a recent replacement of the original brakes with XT.

The bike gets used occasionally now, having been used previously for sportives and MTb events and now carries the battlescars of its previous adventures.

Next step is to address the paint chips but also comcentrate on my sons mini Dogs Bolx build

IMG_5734.jpeg IMG_5735.jpeg IMG_5736.jpeg IMG_5735.jpeg IMG_5737.jpeg IMG_5738.jpeg IMG_5739.jpeg IMG_5741.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5740.jpeg
    IMG_5740.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 2
Its a ‘95 C2 manual coupe with factory lsd and lowered suspension.
Its not a varioram so not as torquey but has the shorter ratio gearbox for a more old school experience compared to modern turbo cars.

Although it has the hardback sports seats, the interior is the dreaded blue (i dont mind it - its proper 90s).

Bought it back in 2008 and has 76k on it.

IMG_1243.jpeg

That's lovely!!! 😍

Is it Iris Blue?...I think metropole works really well with the exterior, like you said, proper period!

I like the 3.6 non varioram engine, particularly with the box you have, feels more akin to the earlier cars...Easier to chip for driveability with OBD1 too! 👌

Back