Winter wear?

I know im going to get called a ponce but riding on road every day i cant recomend a pair of over shoes highly enough. Even those that arent completely water proof keep your feet warm.

Also probably mentioned before but i would say gloves are one of the most important things. the rest of your body will heat up quickly but your feet and hands will take the brunt of the cold.

BITD when i used to ride in Wales regularly (11 years ago and i was probably slightly more stupid then) i used to always wear shorts and a tshirt only, as these dried quickly and then over shoes and thick socks and good gloves. I find your legs and arms only take a few miles to warm up.

Although being older and wiser now i will probably be wearing a coat and long trousers this time round

daj":2wpts8l3 said:
Having read this thread and the tales of the Wobble, I'm reconsidering my entry

No way Crell !! I was speaking to my mate last night about the recent comments and we are still going for it even the lad who doesnt ride, Ride with us we will just be plodding along enjoying it :D

And with me ill be bringing up the rear making sure noone gets lost. (thats my excuse and im sticking to it)

decent windproof, carry a spare pair of gloves on obscene weather days, proper winter boots last longer & work a lot better than overshoes (the new shimano nw80 are v.good), a less vented helmet in the winter.

Aldi just did its winter bike stuff recently - skull cap and over shoes for £6, they usually have a few of these left over.

This might be too serious but after the keswick marathon fiasco, I recommend taking a survival foil or rescue bag on all winter outings, they cost very little, weigh nothing and do help if you get into trouble and no one is about.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/Survival-Bag/pr ... s=survival

Depending on your shoe size ribble had the old shimano downhill boots, Iv'e used these since they came out as a winter boot. Think shimano developed the boot into there winter one, its on special at the mo

scant":3fuihbm2 said:
a less vented helmet in the winter.

Or if you are a tight Yorkshire sod like me a little gaffer tape and cotton wool inside and over the vents of your year round helmet works just as well. Dad used to do this on his old Alvis instead of changing the thermostat. Works just as well on yer helmet ;)

a mega coverage helmet like the fox is noticeably warmer than a specialized d2 even with the vents taped up.

Back