Winter wear?

Subscribe to cycling plus for a year (£40) and they'll give you a windproof jacket and skull cap for nowt. Its a good start to your winter wardrobe, and you get a mag to read every month :)

I've always used Endura 3/4 thermal bib tights, nice and warm- started wearing 3/4 Hummvees, though- see how good they are, certainly pockets come in handy.

Buffalo jackets are Big Dogs Bollocks when it comes to keepin' warm and windproofed- I have a mountain shirt, with all zips and vents, ye can accommodate a fair temperature range. No cheap, though. **ye might find the 'special six' forces issue at a good price used/surplus**

Above all, I'd agree with the chaps above about toes, fingers, and especially ears- sleeve off an old thermal top can make a good enough headband/hat- like a Buff, but for nowt! Decent gloves, socks, and shoes will do more to keep ye comfy than a jacket will whilst yer riding- ye tend to find that as long as ye have something windproof at yer chest, ye actually need to be letting heat out as ye ride- a gilet with mesh back panels can do ye well in even low temperatures, but ye will need summat warm to put on when yer stopped.

Loosen the straps on your shoes. this allows the blood to cerculate better as your feet may be a little larger when cold. Sounds daft, try it cured my cold feet in winter.

Cheers for the help :D

Dont sound like I am that far off the mark then apart from a good shower coat if needed and better footwear socks etc.

And the canoe for the wobble!! :LOL:

I can recommend the Endura Convert jacket- it's light and packs down well, good vent on the back to stop you getting sweaty and it converts to a Gillet in seconds. I have been out in some belting rainstorms lately and it's kept me bone dry.
Also liking the Sealskinz merino thermal socks at the mo, waterproof and come up mid calf so can deal with stream crossings and keep feet warm in Summer shoes.
For the legs I'm using Helly Hansen base layers with Endura Singletrack keks over the top- again keeping nice and dry and vents help regulate temp.

Si

Not cheap, but Ice Breaker make some fantastic, well cut base layers. I've never used something so warm by weight, but also wicking incredibly well, and they just don't smell at all.

Chain reaction often have some decent deals. I picked up a Berghaus paclite for 50 and a wind top for 30 or so.

Having read this thread and the tales of the Wobble, I'm reconsidering my entry. I thought it was an amble for a couple of cheeky halves.

Having read this thread and the tales of the Wobble, I'm reconsidering my entry

No way Crell !! I was speaking to my mate last night about the recent comments and we are still going for it even the lad who doesnt ride, Ride with us we will just be plodding along enjoying it :D

I can also recommend the Endura Jacket as mentioned above.
I used to use polypropylene base layers but got tired of the amount one garment can start to smell over a period of time, so I switched to merino and have used it for a couple of years now and can recommend an Australian brand called Lab-Gear, who sell a hat, base layer and mid-layer all of which I own and use regularly, I have used Icebreaker before, but find the Lab-Gear stuff better quality and fit and lower prices.
They also occasionally sell old stock on ebay - just search for lab-gear.

Cheers,

Roger

Back