Weird camper van question

tow bar mounted rack and a decent chain to the towing eye. this comes from experience, it's hard enough to sleep in a small van, never mind one with a bike in it too. became even harder with wife and little one in tow. :) when off site without the bikes, they went in the tent with 2 ground anchors and a chain through them both, you couldn't pull them up or unscrew them no matter how hard you tried, you'd have to dig them out with a spade.

View attachment 629013
Any chance you still have a link to the ground anchor, really like this solution for camping ,👍🏻

No Sorry, I made them myself.

they were this sort of thing though, if that's any use (note, 1.2 tons to pull them out, that's pretty good going :) ) mine were 5" diameter (or about that, they were welded from 5 inch discs) and 14" long (4 turns). I don't have them anymore, I let them go with the van I think. I also put a 5" flat disc beneath the eye to make it hard to try and dig straight down.

No Sorry, I made them myself.

they were this sort of thing though, if that's any use (note, 1.2 tons to pull them out, that's pretty good going :) ) mine were 5" diameter (or about that, they were welded from 5 inch discs) and 14" long (4 turns). I don't have them anymore, I let them go with the van I think. I also put a 5" flat disc beneath the eye to make it hard to try and dig straight down.

Yeah I can see how that would work, and positioning the bikes over the anchor would make it very difficult to get at the device to unscrew it. Solid locks too 👍🏻love it.

Yeah I can see how that would work, and positioning the bikes over the anchor would make it very difficult to get at the device to unscrew it. Solid locks too 👍🏻love it.
I used 2 as once the cable/chain (I used a chain) was through both, it was physically impossible to turn either of them. with 1, you could lift the bikes and turn it a bit, then lift the bikes and turn it a bit etc.

I used 2 as once the cable/chain (I used a chain) was through both, it was physically impossible to turn either of them. with 1, you could lift the bikes and turn it a bit, then lift the bikes and turn it a bit etc.
That makes more sense, thank you.

Thanks for the replies. It’s a Fiat Doblo so there’s definitely no room inside if I’m on the bed, dismantling is a pain, the tow bar option sounds possible. I was thinking of putting a cable through a door handle. Cheers…

Back