Weird camper van question

flash

Retrobike Rider
I’m thinking of buying a small camper van so I can ride different places. My plan is to keep the bike in the back when driving but I’m trying to think of a cunning way of securing the bike when I’m sleeping in the back. It’s a high top so a roof rack would be tricky. What do you clever people do?

just sleep next to it, or build a box in the back of the van, so the bike can be inside it, access from the back and you sleep on top of the box Should be possible if its a high top.

View attachment 628984
Saw this online recently. Doesn't take up much space either. Might work for you?
this only works with very short wheelbase bikes, or a crazy wide van. with more modern geometry than those bikes photographed, or wheels bigger than 26" won't work. I've watched a guy with that set up collect his new bike and suddenly realise it won't work anymore.

Travel in a car & shack up at a Premier Inn in a proper comfy bead accompanied by your bike... safe as houses or hotel rooms!

Keep it inside! How much time do you intend on spending in the van anyway?They don't take much space only the handlebars....just rotate them...if it's outside and your asleep inside will you hear a bolt cutter snipping a lock or wheels and bits being removed?

Take the wheels off and put on a tarpaulin on the front seats and either cover it with a dark blanket or put covers in the windscreen and side windows. You'll probably need a curtain between the load area and passenger compartment to block out light at night. There's a good van build i've seen which covers the stealth aspects of camping and van builds, it's called Foresty Forest on YouTube it's best to start from the beginning just to see what problems he has.

tow bar mounted rack and a decent chain to the towing eye. this comes from experience, it's hard enough to sleep in a small van, never mind one with a bike in it too. became even harder with wife and little one in tow. :) when off site without the bikes, they went in the tent with 2 ground anchors and a chain through them both, you couldn't pull them up or unscrew them no matter how hard you tried, you'd have to dig them out with a spade.

16914492280_6bfc5ac09e_c.jpg

Back