Vitus 992 it begins - more french now

Re: Vitus 992 it begins

A giles Berthoud had cross my mind but too expensive new. I might use a brooks B17 instead or the new Cambium. Bar tape with will be brroks leather.

Re:

Never tried a Brooks myself. Always gone down the Flite or Rolls route.
Meant to be great once broken in

Re:

Oh that's good. It says Shimano compatible though . Are they interchangeable ?

I misread the advert? I have asked for a refund. The mavic hub though I will try to win and find the right cassette for it as the more french the bike becomes the better. Blunders on ebay have not that before.

That mavic front mech broke today. The arm which the cable attaches too decided it wanted to be alone when testing the shifting. So now I need a new front mech. Thw woe does not end there either. /the 11 speed cassette dishes out to far for a 7/8 speed mech to cope with as the cage is too thick so it hits the spokes. !0 speed is fine but I have a record 11 speed chain cut to size now.

The final woe I will let you know in another post. However the mavic brakes turned up today.

Re:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Oh crikey, it's fighting you mate! Are you pleased with the brakes?

Mike

Oh yes the brakes are fine. It seems I have a lot of nice parts but not a finsihed bike!!!!!! Maybe I will use a RX100 mech I have in the spares box. Not very french though.

Re:

I found RX100 stuff ok BITD, still have a pair of d/t shifters in my spares box. Even the hubs lasted for many years. Very under-rated IMO. And shiny too ! :cool:

Mike

Thr RX100 front mech is on now. I will have to find another mavic one. This build is meant to be french. Only the bar tape left to do, some new decals and photo's. Cassette changed for a 9 speed as a 10 speed campagnolo cassette is still to dished for the mech to clear the spokes properly. Chain swapped to a KMC 9-73. Weight 9kg.

Malcolm

Back