French (maybe Mercier) end of 70's road (?) bike. Giant Sausage

gounthar

Old School Hero
Hi there 👋

Last November, I went and grabbed this.
I call this "Merguez Géante" in French, but I'm not sure "Giant Sausage" would be the right translation.
In French, "Merguez" refers to a car used by criminals that has been modified (engine number erased, parts from other cars) to make it difficult to identify.
It's more a Pizza than a Merguez. I think it's the same in English as in French: a 'pizza' is an assembly of miscellaneous parts, whether it's in terms of their origin or production period.

The rear mech is from an ATB, and so is the crankset. The saddle is huge. The rear light is more recent than the front one. And the list goes on.

My first goal (lese majesty) was to use more modern components than the frame itself and make it as full of Dura Ace 7400 parts as possible.
It is possible, but I can't find the brake calipers that could fit this frame. They do exist, but they seem to be super rare.
It's the version without "chimney" bolts, with a longer bolt, as were the 7200 brake calipers.
Anyway.

I have since then changed my mind (well, at least until I find these #~&*%$£ brake calipers) and went for an earlier version of Dura Ace.
The crankset is on with its axle (even if I would prefer to go with 175 instead of 170).

As the frame is pretty big (64cm), I wanted to get the shifters higher, so I went ahead and bought a stem that has bumps to put the shifters on.

Well, the stem is seriously giving me a hard time, because no matter how much I try to convince it to open its mouth wide, there's nothing I can do, I can't fit the handlebars through it (which I need to change anyway, it's too small).

Furthermore, the shifters and all the accompanying stuff are specific to the risers (which are also specific), so I can't mount the shifters that were intended for this bike.

So... Farewell cursed stem, and hello acrobatics in the city to reach for the shifters...

Therefore, I'm on the lookout for a quill stem, ideally Dura-Ace from the late 70s/early 80s, with what seems to be a comfortable reach.

I'm also looking for a wider handlebar (45+) that would match.

However, if you happen to have a stem with 'standard' risers, maybe we could work something out...

I think that I would keep the quill stem and mounted changers and search for bars that fit it. Probably 26mm?

Yes, I guess so.
I bought the stem without bars, and I tried to fit 26mm bars in it. It failed around the middle, where they are slightly bigger.

Crikey, that is one big frame.

Stem mounted shifters were never a good thing if you valued controlling the bike and "vos couilles" ;)

Bar end or thumb shifters would be a better choice. The original ATAX stem is probably 22mm insertion and 25mm clamp if it helps.

The build progresses very slowly. 🙄
I now have mudguards, but I will have to modify the metal thingie because the brake caliper spring is in the way, so I have to get a longer bracket to lower the mudguards. 🤷‍♂️

garde-boue.jpg
I have a nice (to me at least) small front rack for a small front bag... Except it does not fit near the fork because of the brake caliper, so I tried this risky mount.
It will have to go on another bike, I'm afraid. 🙄
porte sacoche.jpg
I also have a dead rim. 😭
jante morte.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Woz
Back