oh no, it's happened again...... cannondale content

lou74

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
picked up this super V last week, for a reasonable figure, I've seen the wheels it came with advertised for what i paid for the whole bike. I could see from the pictures in the ad it had xtr parts (950rear mech 900 front, 950 brake levers, along with xt 750 v brakes and slx 9spd shifters..... what i didn't know but was pleasantly surprised about on unboxing it was the mavic x517s on m950 hubs complete with skewers!
After some light interweb research, i learned that it's a 96 model with non of the original parts on it, including, unfortunately, the Fatty headshox forks and the Fox alps4 shock (no way it's getting 1 of those again having seen the prices!) . Oem was M560 deore lx, Alivio cantis, coda chainset, levers and front hub, with gripshift srt800 xray shifters.
i'm thinking to return it to as near to factory as possible, as cheaply as possible, forks allowing....... the xtr will be making its way onto other bikes, I have zero Knowledge of airsprung manitous.... who knows why they're there, i suspect the headshox ceased to function and replacing them was easier? similarly the Alps4 shock may well have stopped being airtight so a steel spring was seen as a better option....... as with everything else being replaced and "upgraded" over a 28 year period. how is 1996 28 years ago???!!!
i did take it for a spin round the village, twitchy but not unpleasant, prior to stripping it. needs a damn good clean.

the gathering of parts will be a background activity over the summer, as and when they present them selves. Unless anyone in the uk would like a 96 super v1000 frame and shock in which case i'll bring it with me to the uk at the end of the month.....

IMG_20240405_145258_363.jpg

If you are not in too much of a rush, I might be able to help you out with an Alps 5R in the near future. I have been giving a '96 Super V an overhaul for one of the lads at work. The airshaft on his Alps 5R was cracked and it took so long to get hold of a new shaft that when I saw a complete 5R on enay, I bought it to either use that one or strip it to get the existing one working. Anyway, the new airshaft eventually turned up and I actually finished stripping it down earlier today ready to fit the new shaft. I have sourced every single 'o' ring required to service it (also had a couple custom made). Once it is back together and I am happy it is working all OK, i'll give the other unit a full service and put it up for sale. The only issues I am aware of are that it didn't come with the shock mount inserts which another lad at work is turning on his lathe for me.
If you manage to source a headshock fork, I have also sourced every single seal required for the headshock with the FT70 damper (with the 5/8" damper shaft NOT the 1/2" shaft).

If you are not in too much of a rush, I might be able to help you out with an Alps 5R in the near future. I have been giving a '96 Super V an overhaul for one of the lads at work. The airshaft on his Alps 5R was cracked and it took so long to get hold of a new shaft that when I saw a complete 5R on enay, I bought it to either use that one or strip it to get the existing one working. Anyway, the new airshaft eventually turned up and I actually finished stripping it down earlier today ready to fit the new shaft. I have sourced every single 'o' ring required to service it (also had a couple custom made). Once it is back together and I am happy it is working all OK, i'll give the other unit a full service and put it up for sale. The only issues I am aware of are that it didn't come with the shock mount inserts which another lad at work is turning on his lathe for me.
If you manage to source a headshock fork, I have also sourced every single seal required for the headshock with the FT70 damper (with the 5/8" damper shaft NOT the 1/2" shaft).
Thanks, interesting for sure. I have all summer to look for parts. Missed out on a hard tail frame with headshot forks, stem and m300 cranks on eBay, sold for 40 quid!
Let me know as and when

Cheers

Latest posts

Back