Tyre for Mayhem - thoughts

kram245":3b5evf1k said:
Gerard":3b5evf1k said:
minor_LEGEND":3b5evf1k said:
Those on Splashbacks are brave or naive.

I find they are fine on hardpack trails with some gravel. I wouldn't use them in deep mud. They seem to suit the conditions here in Suffolk.
Mayhem might well be different given it is west country so no doubt wet and muddy :shock:
All of this is weather dependent of course.
Gerard I took my Kona with splashbacks on a bit of bikpacking last Sunday. The tyres were fine on the dry bridleways , light gravel and sandy surfaces . Bit sketchy on soft sand. Fast on hard pack and no punctures . So actually fine for most things I do on a retro MTB in this part of the country. Your comment about the panaracers sent me to the shed and I found I actually still had my old ones, in 2.1 . However I decided to pick up some 1.8 s and took them to Thetford yesterday and put 20 miles on them. Really liked them and cut into the soft sand better and felt more stable., and fast rolling. Obviously Thetford was very dry with only a few areas of standing water. Just a visual inspection of both tyres , the panaracer fire is a more aggressive tread pattern and will do a job in muddier conditions. Doubtless there are much better mud specific tyres but I' generally stick a set on and use them all year round so I think the panaracers will do for me . Thanks for the heads up .

Kam have you tried the 2.1 on the front for better float and cornering out of interest? Back in the day I think that was the philosophy behind it. Skinny on rear to bite & traction.

Yesterday I put on my old green Wild Grippers 2.1 and did my usual circuit on mixed grassy paths and gravel farm tracks. Worked really well, so I'll probably leave them on.

I have Fire XC in 1.8 too so might give them a try too.

Re:

In previous years Racing Ralphs were good, worn out Nobby Nics are pants.

I'll be running Panaracer Timbuk IIs because they look awsome, though if I had any sense I'd whip the Michelin Grip'r s off the modern bike which are as the name suggests, grippy.

SP

Re:

Smoke Lites if you have them
Or smoke/dark/psycho's or any of the onza amber walls.

Do it properly or for fun if you can ride like me. splashbacks are great for most weathers other than damp tarmac.

You just don't go quite as fast through mud, but they do grip and are steady, though 90degree grassy fast corners are a laugh, especially with nettles on the far side.

Are you retro men or are you modern pussies!

Re:

Dunno what you lot are worried about. my Kona has some budget, unbranded cheap rubbish on it (feels more plastic than rubber). Ran out of money for new tyres and these were free so I'll make do (let's see if I'm still saying that in the A&E when I go sliding off :LOL: ). Thinking about it. I'm sure I'll find something a bit better for the front at least. Might borrow the Maxxis Ignitor from my Trance.

Re: Re:

MarinMartin":3o8nu30y said:
Dunno what you lot are worried about. my Kona has some budget, unbranded cheap rubbish on it (feels more plastic than rubber). Ran out of money for new tyres and these were free so I'll make do (let's see if I'm still saying that in the A&E when I go sliding off :LOL: ). Thinking about it. I'm sure I'll find something a bit better for the front at least. Might borrow the Maxxis Ignitor from my Trance.

As I'm feeling benny evolent shall I throw something from my ever growing pile in the loft in the car in the back in the footwell in the event you might like them?

How large a cross section can you accommodate darling? Especially behind?

Matron.

My hatch can be open momentarily

Back