700 x 38 gravel/tour tyre recommendations

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Looking for recommendations for a 700 x 38 tyre.

I ride off road, on tow paths, disused railways, that sort of thing. I have an MTB for bombing through mud so this isn't a requirement.

Schwalbe marathon plus are the recommended tyre of choice for touring and I like the fact that they are puncture resistant, but this is too tarmac based for me.

Looking for something which is an all rounder but quick rolling.

Any recommendations 😃

Gravelking SK is worth a shout. I’ve worn through 2 pairs and about to buy a third as I like them (mine are 43c but my mrs has the 38c ones and they feel the same )

For me it's Rene Herse, if you're looking for light, fast rolling, supple and resilient rubber there's nothing to touch them. But they aren't the cheapest. I've got Barlow Pass on my 700C gravel bike, but you might want to look at Stellacooms for the extra tread, I'm going to treat myself to a pair of the 26'' version of those.

Nothing else I tried ticks all of the boxes, some come close, top end contis and Panaracers for example, but they are approaching the same price point anyway, may as well spend the extra 15% and get the real thing.

I ride a lot, every day, so for me it's worth the expense, I save a fortune on limiting car usage so that justifies me forking out for the best bike tyres. No other single item will make more difference to ride quality except frame and wheelset, but if you're happy with those there's only one way to go.

Last edited:
Marathons are a popular tyre with commuters, but a bit horrible to ride on. Their very thickness - great for avoiding a puncture after a long shift, riding home in the rain.
G-ones can be g-one in a few hundred miles. they have their fans though.
It's not an unusual wear rate mind.
Panaracer make quite a few nice tyres - we have a lot of happy users on many surfaces. Gravy kings and others

Wtb Riddler 700x37C.
Looks good (classic Skinwalls in nice color no bulky logos or decals), rolls nice, the weight is OK, comfortable, not too expensive and a overall solid performance.

I’ve had riddlers (2 sets) and a pair of raddlers too.

Riddlers were good , until the point they weren’t (hope that makes sense). Maybe 2k miles out of a set and then you’ll be getting sprayed by sealant every ride. Raddlers roll slowly in comparison.

GK in comparison easily get double the miles before they start getting thin and even then you can carry on for longer without repeated punctures.

Ive been using wtb nano. Come in various carcase specs and are grippy with knobbly bits, but also have a continuous centre band good on tarmac.

I bought the cheapest as an experiment, but liked them so much i never got a better spec set!

They were £21 a hoop...

However they are 40mm wide, not 38...

Back