Tyre Choice to suit Campagnolo Atek Rims

Lau7ence

Retro Newbie
Apologies in advance - this is going to be another one of those “which rim/tyre combination” questions.

I’ve come by a pair of new-old-stock 36h Campagnolo Atek 26" XC rims - very light and very narrow (20mm outside, 14mm inside). They’re destined to go on a 90’s Orange and used by an old codger (yours truly), to ride dry-ish (in Summer) New Forest gravel tracks - relatively flat and with no “boulders” bigger than about 30mm, so they’ll have a relatively easy life by modern MTB standards.

Because these rims are so narrow, I’m a bit windy about using any tyres wider than about 1.95” or so, for fear of tyre rolling off rim under cornering.

Given the intended use, I don’t want anything too knobbly and certainly not too heavy, and ideally, I’d like tan-wall/skin-wall tyres to look period-correct: think retro-looking high-speed roller rather than gnarly mud-plugger.

Any thoughts on what might suit?

Now these might be outside of recommended limits but I'm running 2.1" gravelkings on some atek rims and whilst they look a bit bulbous, they seem to work just fine.

Your worry was not a problem or even thought that came up BiTD, and Smoke/Psycho were 2.1 and nobody complained.
But we did run at proper pressures like 40 to 45 PSI or more depending on how fat you were.

Grab something 1.95 and go for a ride.

Michelin Wildgripper. They made all kinds of tread patterns and color ways. I have the green & tan wall Lite S which are one of their lightest but a tad knobby for some, and also Sprint's, which have a fine tread block along the center of the tire with knobs along the side. The rolling resistance between the two is night and day difference. Lastly they are just if not lighter than most of the 90's tires out there, especially the green Lite S's (at around 520 grams iirc).

Continental contact travel? 1.75" with a kinda brown coloured wall. Good multi use tyres.....

Thanks for all your inputs - I’ve investigated all options suggested, plus several others including various new-old-stock options. It’s good to know that some of you have mounted 2.1” section tyres on Campagnolo Ateks without problem – certainly there are many more options at that width than the narrower widths (excepting modern ‘urban’ MTB tyres).

In the end, after an obsessive internet search, on a whim I’ve purchased some NOS Michelin Taiga 26 x 1.95 Skinwall tyres - just because!

Latest posts

Back