Tyre for Mayhem - thoughts

Given the weather I've got the Continental 1.5 XC's out and come what may I'm gonna use em

I'm sure better tyres are available but you can say the same thing about the canti brakes and Manitou II's but why let common sense get in the way !

Spud

Retro Spud":1heg6r46 said:
common sense

What's that then :?:

Given what we're embarking on I suspect none of us have much of it!

Anyway back to tires. I think I'll use the Splashbacks...not retro I know but at least tanwall.

If very dry I will use Green Sprint S
If muddy Green Wild Grippers

Of course then there is the second bike to worry about...one lap on each bike.

Retro Spud":328sbttx said:
Given the weather I've got the Continental 1.5 XC's out and come what may I'm gonna use em

I'm sure better tyres are available but you can say the same thing about the canti brakes and Manitou II's but why let common sense get in the way !

Spud

Are they the same a racekings ?

widowmaker":3fece26j said:
Retro Spud":3fece26j said:

Spud

Oh god no, these date back to the mid 90's and quite old school

Retro Spud":3owtso5j said:
widowmaker":3owtso5j said:
Retro Spud":3owtso5j said:

Spud

Oh god no, these date back to the mid 90's and quite old school

My ignorance shows :facepalm:

Gerard":2k8xxntn said:
Retro Spud":2k8xxntn said:
common sense

What's that then :?:

Given what we're embarking on I suspect none of us have much of it!

Anyway back to tires. I think I'll use the Splashbacks...not retro I know but at least tanwall.

If very dry I will use Green Sprint S
If muddy Green Wild Grippers

Of course then there is the second bike to worry about...one lap on each bike.

splashbacks for me too, in 1.8 , front and rear. . Not used them in wet claggy conditions though. What's a good back up tyre for the wet?

I still don't know which tyre as I still don't know which bike!
I hadn't considered a dry weather tyre, was just going to fit something fairly knobbly and hope for the best. I suppose a semi-slick type might not be a bad idea, I have some in the shed so might as well bring em.

I did think about bringing some extreme mud tyres, just in case, but figured something like a velociraptor would cope with most normal conditions, decent mud clearance, not too thin and not too fat.

My backup ride is my B17 which currently has some not very retro schwalbe alberts, they are not too bad.

Back