Tyre for Mayhem - thoughts

Condition alert!

I was riding the woods here yesterday. There be MUD. Proper clog up your tread stuff.

Given there was a storm a couple of days ago and I'm about the closest to princess Anne's back doors, be prepared for the odd sticky entry into her foliage. Also will be using plenty of lube given the age of some of the equipment involved.

Gerard":39y140q0 said:
kram245":39y140q0 said:
splashbacks for me too, in 1.8 , front and rear. . Not used them in wet claggy conditions though. What's a good back up tyre for the wet?

Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 are very light good all rounders. They did do a mud version too, but not sure if it is still available.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... yre-15614/

Loads for sale on Ebay and funnily enough i've got some on a pair of wheels i'm bringing to sell ;)

Re:

All sounds a bit too serious to me.

I'll be using the tyres that are on the bikes at present so a Smoke Dart combo on the Zaskar and Smoke-Smoke on the Response. All in 2.1 flavour.

Gerard":34doaf4y said:
kram245":34doaf4y said:
splashbacks for me too, in 1.8 , front and rear. . Not used them in wet claggy conditions though. What's a good back up tyre for the wet?

Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8 are very light good all rounders. They did do a mud version too, but not sure if it is still available.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... yre-15614/
Good call Gerard. Had some on a Santa Cruz I owned , in 2.1 . Great all rounder

minor_LEGEND":iv1146rp said:
Those on Splashbacks are brave or naive.
Wouldn't use mine seriously off road, but with tan walls and fast rolling on tarmac they do a job on a retro bike that doesn't venture into the dirt .

minor_LEGEND":1o1ljqem said:

I find they are fine on hardpack trails with some gravel. I wouldn't use them in deep mud. They seem to suit the conditions here in Suffolk.
Mayhem might well be different given it is west country so no doubt wet and muddy :shock:
All of this is weather dependent of course.

Gerard":14ptxhea said:
minor_LEGEND":14ptxhea said:

I find they are fine on hardpack trails with some gravel. I wouldn't use them in deep mud. They seem to suit the conditions here in Suffolk.
Mayhem might well be different given it is west country so no doubt wet and muddy :shock:
All of this is weather dependent of course.
Gerard I took my Kona with splashbacks on a bit of bikpacking last Sunday. The tyres were fine on the dry bridleways , light gravel and sandy surfaces . Bit sketchy on soft sand. Fast on hard pack and no punctures . So actually fine for most things I do on a retro MTB in this part of the country. Your comment about the panaracers sent me to the shed and I found I actually still had my old ones, in 2.1 . However I decided to pick up some 1.8 s and took them to Thetford yesterday and put 20 miles on them. Really liked them and cut into the soft sand better and felt more stable., and fast rolling. Obviously Thetford was very dry with only a few areas of standing water. Just a visual inspection of both tyres , the panaracer fire is a more aggressive tread pattern and will do a job in muddier conditions. Doubtless there are much better mud specific tyres but I' generally stick a set on and use them all year round so I think the panaracers will do for me . Thanks for the heads up .

Back